Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

MAP sensor trouble codes

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MAP sensor trouble codes

Anyone here had a MAP sensor fail? Is it a common replacement on a carbed bike? I have a 2006 XL1200C, 6800 miles on the odometer. I'm getting trouble codes P0106 and P0107, checked my wiring and fittings... everything looks OK.

I noticed a code was stored a couple of days ago, it was p0106. I cleared it and rode to work, 40 miles, mostly highway, no problems. On the way home, the check engine light came on, I checked the codes and got the p0107. I couldn't tell any difference in how the bike is running, plugs look OK, I'm getting just over 50mpg on the highway. I cleared that code, took a quick ride last night (10 miles) and didn't get any codes.

Two things that might have an effect: I installed an open air cleaner (Vance and Hines VO2) over the Winter. I did have some backfires through the carb while I was getting the tuning right, but again, no codes, and that was 800 miles ago.

Also, I filled my last tank with 89 octane 10% ethanol, not ideal, I know, but in Iowa, even our premium has ethanol, usually.

My service manual lists the codes as:

P0106 MAP Sensor Rate of Range Error Carb
P0107 Map Sensor Failed Open/Low Carb

So, is there something else I should look at before replacing the sensor? I guess I'm trying to find out what my first step should be, the service manual, from what I 've seen, does not have a whole lot of info on this one. Any harm in riding it while it's throwing these codes? Can't afford to take it to the dealer for this, if I could, I probably would. Sensors/electrical stuff and me don't get along very well ha ha.