Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bummed out....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bummed out....

Had the day off today and decided to put put around town on my 48 replica. Jumped on, turned her on, hit my start switch...I know, I know, no such thing on a 48 but I'll get to that...Anyway...blew the ignition fuse instantly. So..swapped the fuse, tried it again and it instantly blew it again.

Decided to do what I'm not supposed to do, due to having a recent massively reconstructed foot thanks to an asshat that broadsided me last year on another bike, but thats another story, and tried the kickstart and got her started. The problem is my foot and ankle really can't handle kick starting any more which is why I set up a cheater button.

Anyhow...yanked the cover to my coil which is where I have the starter button mounted hoping to find a bad switch or some bad wires right there. No such luck. So...spent about 3 hours chasing wires looking for a short to ground and can't find the motherf*^ker. Did I mention I hate electronics?

I swear I can solve about any mechanical problem on a bike but if its an electrical problem I hate it. Obviously this is more of a rant than a plea for help cause without a crystal ball no one can tell me where the short is. Gonna f with it again tomorrow for a while and if I can't find the problem I think I'm just gonna rewire the ignition system and start over again. This is the part that sucks on a custom built bike. There ain't no manual, and my bud that did the wiring for me has passed away last year so...

Ok..I'm done crying!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

multimeter set in the ohms function, battery disconected, one end of meter to wire you are trying to test, other end to the frame/ground. When meter moves, you found the problem wire. Then it is a matter of narrowing it down to the exact location.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also possible you do not have a short, bad contacts can pop a fuse and so can a bad/inadequate ground.
Electrical may seem to be a pain, but take your time and pay attention, it is not that bad.