Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DTC U1301 - Speedo and Tach Blanking Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DTC U1301 - Speedo and Tach Blanking Out

At random times and speeds, my speedo and tach both drop to zero for about one second and then return to normal. Engine doesn't miss a beat when this happens. Code U1301 (ECM Serial Data High) displays when I pull the codes but can be cleared every time.

Here's what I've done after browsing the internet a bit:

1. Load tested battery - it's less than 1 year old and load tests fine
2. Voltage to the back of the gauges is normal
3. Ensured B+ and B- were both tight
4. Used electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease on TCA connector, ECM connector, and the 1A/1B Molex connector in the fairing where the serial bus runs through

Bike is at the dealer now and they're having no luck trouble shooting this. Like I said, bike runs just fine but I hate to keep clearing the same code over and over and asking for trouble somewhere down the road.

Curious if anyone here has had the same issue and what finally cleared it up?

Bike is a 2008 FLHX with SE pipes and air cleaner and a Dobeck Gen 4 TFI fuel tuner.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Aeromech
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the same codes, u1300,u1301... Cleared them and came back. Unplugged the ECM and both went away. Now they're back again. Bike runs fine, but I don't really want to get stuck 100 miles out.

Still haven't figured it out... Going to try a shorter ride today.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Aeromech
Cruiser
Default Update on codes u1300,u1301.....

Well, I finally broke down after going thru pretty much the whole system on the bike, and went to the dealer for a diagnosis. It was pretty quick and clear to them my tach is bad. Ordered one for 200 clams and a 7 day wait. Hopefully they are right.
If they are, $90 for a diagnosis is worth for anyone who has this same issue. If the problem doesn't go away, I may be a might upset. Time will tell.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Did you boys just ride in the rain or wash the **** out of it?

My 12 tri glide did the same thing. Back of the radio got wet and so did the connections while I was riding in a Frog choker. After a few days it dried out and the loss of speedo and tach never happened again.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possible speed sensor problem.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Aeromech
Cruiser

My bike was dry as a bone when coming home from work one day, and the red key came on and stayed on.
After riding home from the HD diagnosis indicating the tach is bad, I figured I would make sure I could change it out myself. So when I got home, I took off the outer fairing to take a look. Undid the two screws, and the tach decided to fall out onto the gas tank, bounced off the seat and hit the garage floor. Since my heart only skipped one beat, I thought I got a new one on order anyways, so I put it back in. And wouldn't you know it, I've ridden the bike for two days straight with no error codes.
I don't recommend bouncing your instruments on concrete, but it worked for me this time. I will keep the new tach in the box until I need it later....
By the way, had error codes, check engine, red key light on all the way home from HD.

Last edited by Aeromech; 06-09-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:02 PM
Coz2122
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aeromech
My bike was dry as a bone when coming home from work one day, and the red key came on and stayed on.
After riding home from the HD diagnosis indicating the tach is bad, I figured I would make sure I could change it out myself. So when I got home, I took off the outer fairing to take a look. Undid the two screws, and the tach decided to fall out onto the gas tank, bounced off the seat and hit the garage floor. Since my heart only skipped one beat, I thought I got a new one on order anyways, so I put it back in. And wouldn't you know it, I've ridden the bike for two days straight with no error codes.
I don't recommend bouncing your instruments on concrete, but it worked for me this time. I will keep the new tach in the box until I need it later....
By the way, had error codes, check engine, red key light on all the way home from HD.
I know I’m bringing up old memories but did the code ever come back? I’m getting one now