Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'76 IronHead hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Ironyman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 IronHead hard starting

First posted this on the "Engine Mechanical Topics" then found the Sportster forum and tried there. From there some one told me to try this forum so now I'm trying here. That Guy also told me the 76 came with electronic ignition system. I've got a "Clymer M419 Service Shop Repair Manual H-D Sportsters 59-85" on order. I just got the bike Sunday and I'm only home on weekends. Going to try rolling down a hill when I get home and see how that works:

Just picked up this '76 IronHead. The guy I got it from said he wasn't mechanically inclined. He did have a mechanic go thru the carb. And had replaced the plugs. Never did anything to the points. He said it might need Timing adjustment. After quite a few tries and near starts he got it running. I couldn't even get a near start. Got it home and tried and still can't even get a near start. I've got to get a manual on order and some new points for it. In the meantime I was wondering if any one here could give me some tips on starting. The guy told to crank it he would choke it for one kick. Then no choke. Also he said not to give it any gas. I didn't want to put a starter on it but I am now rethinking that one. I had a '65 650 BSA that I built (Basket case when I got it) when I was kid (16 yrs old). That's the biggest engine I've ever kicked off. Since then it's mostly been push a button.
The guy I got it from was about my size. I'm 5'11" 190#s if that make a difference.
One other thing: All the engine says on it is 1000. Would that be an 'XL1000'?

Last edited by Ironyman; 09-30-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 PM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have a kick-only bike, but I can maybe help a little...

Stock electronic ignition first appeared in 1979 Sportsters, so yours came with points originally. It's possible to upgrade to electronic ignition. You'll have to find out what yours has for sure if you don't already know.

Different bikes have different starting routines that work for them. From reading this and other forums, those who have kickers and can help the most will need to know what kind of carb you have on your bike. Different carbs have different starting routines. I believe some carbs have to have the throttle closed completely (i.e. hands off the throttle) to create the vacuum needed to pull the fuel/air mixture into the cylinders.

You should definitely check the static timing, and if it has points with the auto advance weights and springs, you should check to make sure they're working like they should. If the springs are broken and the auto advance is in the "advanced" position, it'll be hard to get it started. Once you get it started you can check the timing with a timing light to get it spot on.

You probably have an XLCH 1000, the VIN will tell you what it is.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Kick only is an XLCH. If stock the Vin# will tell that 3A Being XLH and 4A being XLCH.
On my '77...all Stock except Bendix carb.
With the pushrods set correctly, and the timing and point gap [plugs too] spot on...
Points at 18 thou, and plugs...****! I don't remember.
anyway. Fuel on, Key on , choke on [full]. Hold throttle wide open [maybe twist and release a couple times to "prime"] and kick 'er to life!!!
Be ready to take Choke Off Immediately, or Faster...
If it don't start right off in a couple of kicks, it may be flooded, [check plugs].
Needs throttle wide open, but Choke Off.
Once ya get it..all is good...but, unless "properly tuned" ...You are only getting a good work-out...

Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
... Points at 18 thou, and plugs...
.020 magneto ignition
.030 points ignition
.040 electronic ignition