Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

oil leaks on 82 sporty

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
popstheoldman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leaks on 82 sporty

hello everyone i have what i think is an interesting question about oil leaks at the head+rocker covers.im plauged with a leak,and im not sure if its the head gasket,or the rocker covers.i've noticed that some of the mount bolts and studs for the rocker covers are going completly through the head.im wondering should i have used a sealer on the threads im thinking that is where its leaking from and im getting confused as to a blown head gasket,or just not sealing.{have changed head gaskets twice since cyc.pistons,and ring job}been plauged for 2yrs.with this

thanx in advance for all comments and advice

pops

Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by popstheoldman
hello everyone i have what i think is an interesting question about oil leaks at the head+rocker covers.im plauged with a leak,and im not sure if its the head gasket,or the rocker covers.i've noticed that some of the mount bolts and studs for the rocker covers are going completly through the head.im wondering should i have used a sealer on the threads im thinking that is where its leaking from and im getting confused as to a blown head gasket,or just not sealing.{have changed head gaskets twice since cyc.pistons,and ring job}been plauged for 2yrs.with this

thanx in advance for all comments and advice

pops
My belief is that it is the rocker box gaskets that are leaking.
Each rocker box has (6) bolts to hold it down. (3) bolts per gasket.

When the rocker box(es) have been removed it is wise to reinstall them with no pushrods in place (of course) and tighten each bolt down in a pattern, much like you torque down head bolts. I never seal the threads of the bolts myself.

There is no more than 6 psi of pressure inside the rocker boxes, so oil is not going to be blowing out because of high pressure. More than likely the gaskets just need replacing. Also check to make sure the oil is not coming from the O rings behind the right side rocker shaft nuts (the round ones with the allen head depression).

Often times oil leaks from these and the bike sits on it's sidestand and the oil runs over to the left side of the box and collects there.
If you want to replace the O rings you can do that without taking the boxes off.
pg

Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

I had the same issue. Replaced the rocker box gasket and the o-ring and that fixed my problem. Hope that does it for you.

T-Ron

Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
47Harley
Advanced

Also make sure the cork gaskets in your push rod tubes are not leaking. If the tops ones are leaking they will run down and make a mess.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

i've done and checked everything that was suggested in the threads.these are new gaskets and the leaks start after abou 10 mi.of riding,and always at same area. i talked to my local hd dealer {the mechanics}they said same things to check,but found out i should have studs not bolts for the rocker boxes,and to use 80grit sandpaper and scuff up the surfaces on both so thats my next step

Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
47Harley
Advanced

i've done and checked everything that was suggested in the threads.these are new gaskets and the leaks start after abou 10 mi.of riding,and always at same area. i talked to my local hd dealer {the mechanics}they said same things to check,but found out i should have studs not bolts for the rocker boxes,and to use 80grit sandpaper and scuff up the surfaces on both so thats my next step
I use one of the 3M paint stripping discs on a drill to do the intake gaskets on cars. You can find at your local parts store, they look like a scotch bright pad that you can hook to your drill.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You think you need studs instead of bolts? Huh?
How in the heck are you going to be able to remove and reinstall the rocker boxes without removing both heads first? That does not sound right to me.
pg

Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

The two places that require studs are where the front and rear top engine mounts bolt between the rocker covers and the frame. These are part number 3412 STUD, rocker cover to frame. You need 4 of these, 2 front and 2 rear.

I do wish that this forum would have the posting at the top of every post the posters year of bike. This is stupid to have to scroll back thru the whole thread trying to determine that. Anyway, the studs i am referring to are for 1978 on.

The rest are bolts.

If you do not have a factory parts catalog yet you should get one immediately. It will make your life [and that of all of us trying to help!] much, much easier.

And you cannot trust anything that a modern factory trained HD mechanic says about an IronHead. Different if he is an old guy [like us!]. It is not that they are incompetent, just that they have no training for these bikes.

Last edited by IronMick; 03-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
51spanky
3rd Gear

Take a straight edge and check the bottoms of your rocker boxes for flatness. My 72 sporty kept leaking until I did this. I had polished aluminum boxes so I was able to level them with afile. Don't believe this would work on chrome boxes though, filing may chip the bottom edges of the chrome and let it start flaking.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
09DynaMan
Banned
Smile

80 Grit to scuff the 2 gasket surfaces?????????
You would have to be insane
They need to be as smooth as possible for maximum sealing potential
Now if they said to lap them flat, and polish to a shine, that would make sense
You are being seriously messed about

Quick Reply: oil leaks on 82 sporty