Sponsored by:

Upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:13 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts
Default Upgrade??

Ok, man I'm tossed now... I had my mind made up, but one of the local dealers just really tempted me. So i just had to have a $hit load of work done to my '09.. Inner primary bearing\race, comp, primary chain tensioner, main trans bearing, etc... About $2500 worth of work. So I was like... Ok to much money into it, I'm not going to stick $2500 into it just turn turn around and trade it, for the same value as none of the work that was done made it more valuable.

Local shop just called me yesterday and told me, they would still give me full trade (Still need to take my bike there to figure out what that value is) + said they would cut me a check for the repairs I just made... ($2500)..! To come in an buy a new Limited...

I asked them why they would do that and he said... It's just that time of the year, we are trying to move some bikes get rid of some stock...

I would assume they will get that $2500 added back in somewhere, somehow but if they truly still give me full trade + cut me a check for my out of pocket expenses, + sell me the new one for MSRP...??? That's tempting.... Damb it I new I shouldn't have called him back... :-) LOL...

Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

I did the same and bought the Limited. No regrets.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:42 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Ok, man I'm tossed now... I had my mind made up, but one of the local dealers just really tempted me. So i just had to have a $hit load of work done to my '09.. Inner primary bearing\race, comp, primary chain tensioner, main trans bearing, etc... About $2500 worth of work. So I was like... Ok to much money into it, I'm not going to stick $2500 into it just turn turn around and trade it, for the same value as none of the work that was done made it more valuable.

Local shop just called me yesterday and told me, they would still give me full trade (Still need to take my bike there to figure out what that value is) + said they would cut me a check for the repairs I just made... ($2500)..! To come in an buy a new Limited...

I asked them why they would do that and he said... It's just that time of the year, we are trying to move some bikes get rid of some stock...

I would assume they will get that $2500 added back in somewhere, somehow but if they truly still give me full trade + cut me a check for my out of pocket expenses, + sell me the new one for MSRP...??? That's tempting.... Damb it I new I shouldn't have called him back... :-) LOL...
I did something similar. Loved my Bike, wife was super worried I would bitch about not having it if I traded on a 2017. Plus all the money I dumped into it that I seriously doubted I would get back. Unfortunately for my old bike I do not miss it at all. My 2017 Limited is freaking awesome. Fine piece of machinery and pulls like a train (bone stock). No regrets at all.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Well,you posted this 6 hours ago.....So lets see the pics of the new bike,lol.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:54 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
Well,you posted this 6 hours ago.....So lets see the pics of the new bike,lol.
Ya, not quite yet. :-)... I had plans this weekend and I couldn't get to the dealership. Just getting back to my thread now. I need to get there with my bike. I want to see what they will give me for trade. Another one in the area said $10.5 when I was talking to them in the spring about trading on a '16. Never did that deal. I don''t see why it would be less?? But I have to get there and see. If the weather is decent I may run up there Monday after work. They told me this deal is only good till maybe the end of the month. Well Nov and snow is around the corner here too. Hate to get a bran new bike to park it until April. :-)

Originally Posted by riknbeth
I did something similar. Loved my Bike, wife was super worried I would bitch about not having it if I traded on a 2017. Plus all the money I dumped into it that I seriously doubted I would get back. Unfortunately for my old bike I do not miss it at all. My 2017 Limited is freaking awesome. Fine piece of machinery and pulls like a train (bone stock). No regrets at all.
That's my hang up man... I truly do love my bike. Don't love all the money I've had to put into it. Which a '17 with a warranty wouldn't be a bad thing... Getting a '17, making it my own again... Dealership sure seems to want to put that bike in my hands. I'm still stumped by them telling me they would cut me a check for the repairs...?? The old saying... If it's to good to be true... It must be... LOL... I've very good at over analyzing

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-25-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

That's my hang up man... I truly do love my bike. Don't love all the money I've had to put into it. Which a '17 with a warranty wouldn't be a bad thing... Getting a '17, making it my own again... Dealership sure seems to want to put that bike in my hands. I'm still stumped by them telling me they would cut me a check for the repairs...?? The old saying... If it's to good to be true... It must be... LOL... I've very good at over analyzing
Always depends on the dealer. The 2017 was my third bike from the same dealer and same salesman. Got mine for MSRP (before taxes), no setup or freight fees. 15% discount on the upgrades I wanted and what I would call a fair trade on my bike. The dealers are making money, here in Minnesota selling a bike towards November for that much money that cannot be ridden for at least 4 months is not easy. So they get motivated, but again they will make money on the sale. If you buy, please post pictures. Good luck to you.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Always depends on the dealer. The 2017 was my third bike from the same dealer and same salesman. Got mine for MSRP (before taxes), no setup or freight fees. 15% discount on the upgrades I wanted and what I would call a fair trade on my bike. The dealers are making money, here in Minnesota selling a bike towards November for that much money that cannot be ridden for at least 4 months is not easy. So they get motivated, but again they will make money on the sale. If you buy, please post pictures. Good luck to you.
Kind of concerned if I pass on this deal now and tell them I'm going to hold tight till spring because I just have to store it anyway, spring will roll around, bikes will be leaving the showroom floor, trade on mine will drop more, another year older... etc... They won't be so concerned about selling me a bike, they will be selling them to lots of people... :-) roll the dice..! I'm on the HD site now doing a build your own so I can see what MSRP is on a bike with some added extras. If I assume they will give me at least $10.5... I can kind of see where I would be.

No worries, if (WHEN) I end up with a new bike, I'll post pics.. :-)

Last edited by jamala00; 10-15-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

Kind of concerned if I pass on this deal now and tell them I'm going to hold tight till spring because I just have to store it anyway, spring will roll around, bikes will be leaving the showroom floor, trade on mine will drop more, another year older... etc... They won't be so concerned about selling me a bike, they will be selling them to lots of people... :-) roll the dice..! I'm on the HD site now doing a build your own so I can see what MSRP is on a bike with some added extras. If I assume they will give me at least $10.5... I can kind of see where I would be.

No worries, if (WHEN) I end up with a new bike, I'll post pics.. :-)
Took me over three weeks to figure out what deal I would be happy with before I ever talked to the dealer. Took less than an hour to get the deal done. Of course I was always willing to say forget it, I'll keep my current bike. Dealers (salesmen) are always watching for emotional attachment to a particular bike and will use it against you every time. I personally have no problem with that behavior, to me they are just doing their jobs. But I know I have all of the leverage in the negotiation, since I was still in love with my current ride.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Took me over three weeks to figure out what deal I would be happy with before I ever talked to the dealer. Took less than an hour to get the deal done. Of course I was always willing to say forget it, I'll keep my current bike. Dealers (salesmen) are always watching for emotional attachment to a particular bike and will use it against you every time. I personally have no problem with that behavior, to me they are just doing their jobs. But I know I have all of the leverage in the negotiation, since I was still in love with my current ride.
Well said...! Step One.. I have to get my bike into the shops to see what they offer me. There are 4 shops within 30 miles of me. I would be foolish to not go to all of them and find out what they will offer. Time is running short here in WI before that white $hit is on the road.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Well said...! Step One.. I have to get my bike into the shops to see what they offer me. There are 4 shops within 30 miles of me. I would be foolish to not go to all of them and find out what they will offer. Time is running short here in WI before that white $hit is on the road.
I used several online sites (like kelly blue book). I used the lowest trade-in value (obviously less than fair market) and added in all of the money I dumped into the bike minus a 60% discount on the upgrade cost. This was a guess on my part, but upgrades are hard to get value out of. I got the trade number I was happy with. Be careful shopping around, everyone will have a wildly different number depending on their business model (how they plan to make money). Just like when I remodeled my kitchen, I was fully aware I better stay put for at least 8 years to enjoy the remodel, because I would never get all my money back. I had everything printed out in a spreadsheet with corner cases included (meaning highest and lowest out of pocket costs out the door). Salesman knew me, again third bike. He knew I had my analysis and to not screw with me too much with sales tricks because I tend to have a short fuse. I showed him the list (without what I was willing to pay). He came up with the same numbers (lucky for him) and found a few upgrades that I missed that were needed to complete the look I was after. We both walked away happy. Although I can tell you he likes folks that are not prepared or become emotional a lot more than me. But what the hell, I would actually call the guy a friend. He has a job to do, but so did I. I am always careful to make sure I understand what I am willing to pay to be happy. That number is very different between people. Some folks will pay freight and setup which can be very expensive and are happy. That's cool, who am I to judge anyone else. And if the dealer can do deals like this more power to them. Called capitalism... Again, good luck to you. The key is to find an honest dealer. A dishonest dealer would never deal with a person like me.

Quick Reply: Upgrade??