Sponsored by:

Auxiliary Power in Road King nacelle

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Granpita
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Power in Road King nacelle

In one of my boat building books, the author says he's been building boats for 60 years. Then he corrects himself and says he's only been building for 45 years, The OTHER 15 years were spent looking for his sliding bevel. I feel the same way looking for my T27 or Allen socket that I just had a moment ago. Anyway . . .

I just took delivery of my M8 Road King and went into the headlight nacelle to look for switched accessory power for my handlebar USB socket and GPS. I found an unused plug on the right side. It's a rectangular white 4-pin inline plug with one yellow/brown wire and one blue/purple(?) wire. Appears to be unsealed. The female side of the plastic plug is there but there are no metal sockets to connect to the new wires and there are no ID marks. My question is: What is this plug or how can I identify it so I can get the inserts? I have all three shop manuals (Service, Parts and Electrical) but, so far, haven't been able to figure it out. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Congrats on the new RK! I haven't opened up my headlight yet on mine. Guess it's time to get the multimeter out and start exploring and see what the plug is.

Good Luck

Old 01-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I can't speak for newer models but on a 2011 Road King there's an ignition hot power source in the headlight. It is not controlled by the accessory switch. I run a handlebar mounted cigarette lighter power plug off it.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:12 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I can't speak for newer models but on a 2011 Road King there's an ignition hot power source in the headlight. It is not controlled by the accessory switch. I run a handlebar mounted cigarette lighter power plug off it.
I am tapped into this wire on my 2011 RK. It's been awhile since I was in there. I do remember the connector was a flat blade type connector wired onto wire at 90 degrees. I did not use the connector. I tapped into that wire and it is "keyed"

Old 01-02-2017, 07:28 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpita
In one of my boat building books, the author says he's been building boats for 60 years. Then he corrects himself and says he's only been building for 45 years, The OTHER 15 years were spent looking for his sliding bevel. I feel the same way looking for my T27 or Allen socket that I just had a moment ago. Anyway . . .

I just took delivery of my M8 Road King and went into the headlight nacelle to look for switched accessory power for my handlebar USB socket and GPS. I found an unused plug on the right side. It's a rectangular white 4-pin inline plug with one yellow/brown wire and one blue/purple(?) wire. Appears to be unsealed. The female side of the plastic plug is there but there are no metal sockets to connect to the new wires and there are no ID marks. My question is: What is this plug or how can I identify it so I can get the inserts? I have all three shop manuals (Service, Parts and Electrical) but, so far, haven't been able to figure it out. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

I think I found it .... Chassis Cooling Fan Switch - Connector 205A. Just guessing but it might be used for an optional 'fan assisted oil cooler' or the optional 'cool fan that gets mounted to the frame behind the rear cylinder'. I have no idea if there is power there (switched or not) or if power might be controlled by the ECM/BCM. Just a hint with wire colors ... they're listed as main color/stripe color. And HD calls 'purple' violet.

Here's the Chassis Cooling Fan
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...05-26800128--1

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 01-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Granpita
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a real battle finally solved with ID charts on the dealer's wall. We had looked at the suggested Connector 205A but that wasn't it. It turned out the plug is an "AMP OEM' 4-Pin or something like that, and the terminals (female sockets) I needed are Harley's part number 72038-71A. This should be a good number (2 needed at $2.00 each) for anyone with an M8 Road King wanting an easy access to a switched auxiliary power supply for the handlebars. Don't know what the current rating is but the wire size seems to be enough for an iPhone and a GPS (I hope).

Thank you to those who responded.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,436 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpita
It was a real battle finally solved with ID charts on the dealer's wall. We had looked at the suggested Connector 205A but that wasn't it. It turned out the plug is an "AMP OEM' 4-Pin or something like that, and the terminals (female sockets) I needed are Harley's part number 72038-71A. This should be a good number (2 needed at $2.00 each) for anyone with an M8 Road King wanting an easy access to a switched auxiliary power supply for the handlebars. Don't know what the current rating is but the wire size seems to be enough for an iPhone and a GPS (I hope).

Thank you to those who responded.

That plug is for the Cool Fan option. It is supplied from the BCM with no fuse so keep the current very low if you plan to use it. In the cool fan kit they give you a relay to install, so this supply is only for switching the relay off/on.