Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Lived Romance With My Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:25 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I think you might regret it down the road if you jump ship on the bike so soon. Give it some time. The road kings are pretty nimble bikes once you get used to them. The plus side is they do not beat you up on longer rides. They are not affected by the cross winds and gusts from semi's. The touring bikes also seem to retain a fair amount of their value over the years. Just stick it out through the rest of the season and see where you are.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure it won't be long before you've got a buyer wanting to take it off your hands.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Nice looking bike. But, I'm interested in an RK standard, not special.
Front fender says that it is a standard RK (because nobody would deliberately put a standard fender on an RK special).

Old 06-16-2017, 10:07 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
Vivid Black w/ 1492 miles as of this evening -
Gorgeous bike. Tastefully done.

Curious to get your thoughts on how it compares to the Switchback?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Keep both . I like having my old FB around when I want to ride it , but it is no match for the RGU. Was never really a RK fan it is a stripped down touring bike come up short in most ways.
I did the same thing,kept my fatboy for blasting around locally and RG for the road trips

Old 06-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Gorgeous bike. Tastefully done.

Curious to get your thoughts on how it compares to the Switchback?
Entirely different machines, altogether. Switchback was much narrower, lighter, and felt like a combination of several bikes. It was a bit of my old Lowrider and my Fat Boy in one. If I were to put a wider seat, larger tank, and hard bags on the Lowrider, it would have been the Switchback. It did run well on the interstate. Bags are smallish.

Road King is all touring, in my opinion. I know a ton of folks enjoy scurrying around town on them, but they're called touring for a reason. Wide, heavy, and solid at all speeds, no matter what you're passing or is passing you.

I think I'd be happier with the Switchback for my riding style and agenda.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,146 Likes on 6,211 Posts

I think you should hold onto it for now and trade it on a 2018 Softail such as a Heritage or Fat Boy which likely have the M8 engine.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:13 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I was the other way, after riding RK's & SG's I purchased a softail and was impressed with the balanced motor and the lack of upper motor noise from the rockers and said I'd never go back to touring. But with riding to Florida from PA yearly to get my ride to my home for the winter, I needed cruise control so I purchased a 2015 RK. I didn't realize how much I missed the RK ride and style. So I can understand your drive to go back. Good looking ride by the way...

Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If anyone knows of someone looking for a
Road King, keep an eye out in the classifieds. Will be posting once I have the title in hand in a few weeks.
Whats a reasonable asking price for this? Tried getting an idea based on what used Road Kings are priced at, but just about every one I see is crazy overpriced, in my
opinion. Hard to use those as a basis. Having said that, I guess all i
can do is use msrp + fees as a guide.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 AM
MulliganAl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats a reasonable asking price for this? Tried getting an idea based on what used Road Kings are priced at, but just about every one I see is crazy overpriced, in my
opinion. Hard to use those as a basis. Having said that, I guess all i
can do is use msrp + fees as a guide.
I live in Atlanta and have been looking at getting either a RK or SG and this is a beautiful RK. Heading to the dealer again today to sit on a few more and begin to lock down what I may want. I was also thinking about waiting to see what the 2018 models bring since I hear talk about some changes.

Question for some who may know, I've been riding a Triumph Bonneville and will be moving up to a more travel worthy bike, like this RK, and I was wondering how it handles compared to something like a Bonneville. What differences can I expect in the handling and ride?

Also, may I ask what you're asking for this RK, please PM me if you don't want it posted here? Do you have any additional photos of the bike that you can share?

Quick Reply: Short Lived Romance With My Road King