Sponsored by:

New 18 Road King vs Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Default New 18 Road King vs Heritage Classic

2018 MY is the first time you could really compare these two bikes.

The Heritage offers the 114 M8 option, Road King does not.

The Heritage has a all new frame with better suspension than the Road King in my opinion.

The Heritage is roughly 100 LBS lighter than the Road King. A huge deal to me.

The Road King provides a little more storage space

The Heritage includes ABS standard, it's optional on the Road King.

Overall; for the first time ever the Heritage is competitive with the Road King as a basic touring motorcycle. In my opinion, the Heritage wins on the strength of the 114 option and because it's 100 LBS lighter. Add to the list that it comes with a better more advanced frame and rear suspension.

Do you guys agree?

The following users liked this post:
kimrandall (06-09-2018)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I like apples, you like oranges. that's why they have more than one model imo.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
2018 MY is the first time you could really compare these two bikes.

The Heritage offers the 114 M8 option, Road King does not.

The Heritage has a all new frame with better suspension than the Road King in my opinion.

The Heritage is roughly 100 LBS lighter than the Road King. A huge deal to me.

The Road King provides a little more storage space

The Heritage includes ABS standard, it's optional on the Road King.

Overall; for the first time ever the Heritage is competitive with the Road King as a basic touring motorcycle. In my opinion, the Heritage wins on the strength of the 114 option and because it's 100 LBS lighter. Add to the list that it comes with a better more advanced frame and rear suspension.

Do you guys agree?
I'll give an opinion after a Test ride. Stats don't tell the story, riding the bike will.

Honey-Badger (09-08-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

traded my 13 Heritage for 2015 RK which was a huge improvement for Touring, then 15 for 17 RK, then just rode 18 Heritage..RK still comes out ahead for Touring IMO

that extra 100lbs keeps it more firmly planted for Touring
Reflexed link ABS with dual front brake rotors advantage cannot be underestimated
Hydraulic clutch less maintenance and chance of a cable breaking
similar pricing = RK greater value..it just feels more solid and substantial for Touring

that being said..the new Heritage is really nice..worlds better than my 13 and closed the gap with the RK for solo Touring but still no way I would choose it over the King for the same $

Old 08-29-2017, 10:59 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

After test riding both I bought the 114 Heritage. In the past I was not a Heritage kind of guy. But with the changes I really like the looks.. The 100 pounds less weight was important to me. As were the terrific new lockable bags. Liking the LED lights, ABS, sharper steering, better suspension and etc. The 114 engine is a bargain in my opinion considering a Stage 1 on these bikes is now over a $1000. The FI mapping seems spot on. The bike runs great and has all the power I will ever need.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts
INJEKTER (09-08-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
LOL. Been raining since I brought it home and any picture taken in the garage will be hard to see.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:26 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

It depends really on other factors IMO. What are you going to do with the bike? Having ridden the new Heritage it definitely is the sportier of the two but for me it was also more cramped in terms of ergos and I would prefer the the Road King on a long trip. The Heritage would be more fun to ride around town

Based on my impressions, the only major things that the Road King has on the Heritage in terms of performance is braking(dual discs) and overall comfort. The Heritage still has that single sloppy disc up front and braking is still a bit squishy. IMO the brakes have not improved over the old model and they should have put duals up front as the sportier spec sheet is going to encourage people to ride harder. That's the only negative I could say about the heritage ride in terms of performance.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
After test riding both I bought the 114 Heritage. In the past I was not a Heritage kind of guy. But with the changes I really like the looks.. The 100 pounds less weight was important to me. As were the terrific new lockable bags. Liking the LED lights, ABS, sharper steering, better suspension and etc. The 114 engine is a bargain in my opinion considering a Stage 1 on these bikes is now over a $1000. The FI mapping seems spot on. The bike runs great and has all the power I will ever need.
Thank you; I really value your opinion. Also understand and value the option of those that prefer the Road King.

As I mentioned, leaning towards the Heritage Classic with the 114. In Twisted Cherry.

I'm also concerned that Harley will change the frame on the touring line in a model year or two. When Harley does that values take a big hit. I'm confident that the new softail frame will be with us for at least 10 years. So will the M8. Not buying as a investment but prefer not to loose anymore than necessary.

I also like how the Heritage looks. Again, appreciate everyone's feedback.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Are the wheels on the Heritage tubed? They are the only thing on the bike I really don't like. I haven't tested one yet so this is just subjective.

kap1 (06-11-2018)

Quick Reply: New 18 Road King vs Heritage Classic