Sponsored by:

2017 ultra limited m8 oil light

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM
GZRGLYD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 ultra limited m8 oil light

I have a 2017 Ultra Limited with the M8 and the oil light keeps coming on. The first time I took it to the shop they told me it was the ECU and they had to special order they parts. they said it was okay to ride until the parts arrived. 2 weeks later i'm stuck on the side of the freeway for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck with a huge puddle of oil under my bike. They replace the ECU and the oil pressure switch. A couple of weeks go by and the oil light comes back on, I take it back to the dealer and after several days they inform me that its a low voltage problem. This time they replace the stator. A couple weeks go by and my bike is now back at the dealership with the oil light on. Any ideas?

Old 11-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

It's the oil pump and by the time your dealer gets the word, you are going to need an engine.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

To what do you attribute the oil puddle? Did they not properly replace the sensor when they checked the oil pressure? When I had problems with the oil light and low voltage they tested three things: oil pressure switch resistance, proper grounding and the ECU. Everything tested ok.

They also cleared out all codes and sent me on my way. It's been about 1K since then and none of the oil codes have returned. I'm keeping a wary eye on it just the same. My confidence in what the dealer tells me is "buyer beware."

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Same bike... Oil light has come on twice after startup (does not go off). Shutoff bike and re-started oil light off and no issues. Dealer checked it out with no issues. Tech said it was fine and the sensor does not reset sometimes, he has seen this before. Keeping a close eye on it. 12K miles has happened twice thus far.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Typical "tech" BS.

Originally Posted by GZRGLYD
I have a 2017 Ultra Limited with the M8 and the oil light keeps coming on. The first time I took it to the shop they told me it was the ECU and they had to special order they parts. they said it was okay to ride until the parts arrived. 2 weeks later i'm stuck on the side of the freeway for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck with a huge puddle of oil under my bike. They replace the ECU and the oil pressure switch. A couple of weeks go by and the oil light comes back on, I take it back to the dealer and after several days they inform me that its a low voltage problem. This time they replace the stator. A couple weeks go by and my bike is now back at the dealership with the oil light on. Any ideas?
Anybody who tells you that it's OK to run ANY engine with an indication of excessively low, or no, oil pressure without physically checking to see what the pressure actually is is an idiot. Pretty much sums up the intelligence of most H-D "techs" for sure.

What does the owner's manual have to say on the subject? Probably just the opposite, I'd think.

Hopefully, when they install a new engine (if they do), they'll also find, and maybe even fix, the problem.

The truly realistic approach would be for the MoCo to just ship an extra replacement engine (with matching numbers, natch'), right in the shipping crate with every bike they build and shove out the door.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM
GZRGLYD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the puddle was from the oil pressure switch, each time they have "fixed the bike" its been good for about 1500 miles. I'm at 17000 miles now and the bike has been in the shop 4 times for the same thing and H-D doesn't give a ****. I've been loyal to H-D for almost 30 years this is my 4th Ultra since 2008 and I ride almost 30000 miles a year. Sad to say but I have scheduled a test ride at the local Indian dealer.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GZRGLYD
the puddle was from the oil pressure switch, each time they have "fixed the bike" its been good for about 1500 miles. I'm at 17000 miles now and the bike has been in the shop 4 times for the same thing and H-D doesn't give a ****. I've been loyal to H-D for almost 30 years this is my 4th Ultra since 2008 and I ride almost 30000 miles a year. Sad to say but I have scheduled a test ride at the local Indian dealer.
Hey, quit yer bitchin'. There's one guy posting on the forum that doesn't get that many miles out of each replacement engine they give him.

It's all relative. 1500 miles between "fixes" doesn't sound that bad, comparatively.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

"Hopefully, when they install a new engine (if they do), they'll also find, and maybe even fix, the problem."

HD does not even know what the issue is, much less how to fix it. First it was metal shavings, then sensor, then wiring, then infotainment that reads sensor, then oil pump, then trans oil migration, sumping, then

How many of the early production bikes will have issues down the road? or engines that will grenade because of oil issues? Honestly, if it were not for the lifestyle and the image that surrounds HD, they would have went out of business long ago.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

It's a extremely cheap switch. And should not be trusted.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Hey, quit yer bitchin'. There's one guy posting on the forum that doesn't get that many miles out of each replacement engine they give him.

It's all relative. 1500 miles between "fixes" doesn't sound that bad, comparatively.
yeah but his wasn't the oil light it was the 'Replace Engine Soon' indicator lamp..JK..these are absolute horror stories for loyal customers

The following users liked this post:
jpooch00 (11-21-2017)

Quick Reply: 2017 ultra limited m8 oil light