Sponsored by:

M8 motor balancing

Old 02-18-2018, 06:40 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
Default M8 motor balancing

Hi all, quick question....
I understand ( from this forum ) that HD purposely de-balanced the M8 engine to give some of the feel of a HD motor....
Has anyone ever gone into the engine and replaced the "whateevr part " that makes the engine unbalanced....I for one would not mind a HD SGS that doesn't shake.....
NO flame throwers just asking for curiosity sake.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Hi all, quick question....
I understand ( from this forum ) that HD purposely de-balanced the M8 engine to give some of the feel of a HD motor....
Has anyone ever gone into the engine and replaced the "whateevr part " that makes the engine unbalanced....I for one would not mind a HD SGS that doesn't shake.....
NO flame throwers just asking for curiosity sake.
they reduced the shake by 75% with the M8s...why tear into the engine to make it feel like a Gold Wing!

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (08-14-2022)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

You have two versions of the M8 like the TC before it. The rubber mounted and the hard mounted versions. The rubber mounted has a single balance shaft and the hard mounted has two. Sounds like you may be interested in a version with the two balance shafts.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dceggert
You have two versions of the M8 like the TC before it. The rubber mounted and the hard mounted versions. The rubber mounted has a single balance shaft and the hard mounted has two. Sounds like you may be interested in a version with the two balance shafts.
I have a SGS '17...., what does it have a single or double.....

( If I wanted a goldwing I would have bought one and saved a hell of a lot to boot)......but in years past I did have Honda's and Kawasaki....cruisers.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

here's what they say about your bike

"For the first time in a rubber-mounted Big Twin, a single counter-rotating internal balancer is used to cancel 75 percent of the engine’s primary shaking force. When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; some vibration is an essential element of Harley’s unique feel. Riders of long ago accepted lots of raw vibration, but most riders today do not—and Harley-David*son here appears to be satisfying the faithful customer with some of the shake they love while also smoothing the engine to the degree that will attract new customers with an increased level of refinement. Heavy vibration is tiring, so long-distance riders want engine smoothness—but still want the drama of handlebars shaking at idle—and the relationship with the moving parts."

FM500 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

P3R/Drago's is coming out with a new M8 crank that will eliminate the balancer (the crank will of course be balanced). It also adds a Timken left side bearing. Those guys will no doubt be doing a lot of forced induction work with the M8 once the bottom end is beefed up. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

We need a point of reference. Secure one of those Hula girls that you see in old chevys. Superglue it on to your front fender. With your bike level, start the bike and film at least 25 seconds of said shake. Post it to the site. Sit back and wait for comments. There will be plenty.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:08 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
We need a point of reference. Secure one of those Hula girls that you see in old chevys. Superglue it on to your front fender. With your bike level, start the bike and film at least 25 seconds of bsaid shake. Post it to the site. Sit back and wait for comments. There will be plenty.
I thought I had already shown you my reference on my post, is she not bouncy enough?

bradsULtd (03-04-2019)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:24 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I thought I had already shown you my reference on my post, is she not bouncy enough?
Glue her to the fender and we are all set! (I will help)

Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
P3R/Drago's is coming out with a new M8 crank that will eliminate the balancer (the crank will of course be balanced). It also adds a Timken left side bearing. Those guys will no doubt be doing a lot of forced induction work with the M8 once the bottom end is beefed up. Will be interesting to see how it works.

You can't eliminate the balancer. There is no way to completely balance a HD V twin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M8 motor balancing