Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 coolflow fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:24 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

For those of you have it, looks like it would be a paint to check/fill oil and trans fluids. Any comments? I'm thinking of buying one, but it looks like it gets really crowded down there.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:09 PM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanish Cobra
I just had one installed today on my 2018 Ultra. Tech told me he could not get it to work initially because he had the button in the wrong location. Needs to be on the left side far right position. It has 3 settings that display on the speed odometer. Auto, on & off. He also mention that installing the wiring harness was a bitch.

Ditto here, CoolFlow fan installed on a 2017 Limited. The wiring must have been a headache because I got a fault warning within 2 miles of the dealership after the install, and it took another hour or so for a tech to sort out the issue, which was an incorrect connection.

It works great. I got caught in a long traffic jam in 85 degree temperatues two days after the installation, and the fan (set to automatic) came on when it should and blew a lot of heat away from me and my passenger. Excellent product so far.

No issue with checking oil levels.

Last edited by Michael Haz; 06-27-2018 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sportglide (11-25-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
Could some one who has had the coolfan installed at a HD dealership what was the total cost.
Bill

Fan and installation was $440, tax included.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

My dealer quoted me 2.5 hours. So I opted to wait for the bike. The 2.5hrs turned into 6hrs...Mine was only the second one they installed. Master Tech told me it was a bitch and the instructions were beyond poor. Total time to install was 6 hrs by the time he figured it out and buttoned it back up. Bike was pretty much be completely disassembled, bags off, tank off, seat off, front fairing off, fuse block pulled.. wires everywhere.

Beyond that, the coolflow fan works amazing. It still easy to check the oil and or fill. HD should put these on every bike right from the factory.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
Fan and installation was $440, tax included.
Yet another thing that should just come standard on the bike... Geeze...

Old 06-27-2018, 07:40 PM
ibang1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the fan and air deflector myself. Took a few hours and the wiring was confusing at first but but easy to do once I figured it out. Installing the switch was a breeze.
Took the bike to the dealership and had them flash the ECU. Charged me .25 hours or $27. I spent less than $385. I could have saved another $40 if I bought the fan and deflector online but I just ran to the dealership and got all the parts I needed. My bike is completely stock and I noticed immediately the heat moved away from my right foot. I did ride around a few days with the fan not programmed. The deflector helps but the fan once it’s on is significant in moving the hot air down. There is some loss of area with the fan and defector in the way. I still can get access to the transmission and oil caps. It’s a bit tight but still accessible with your hands and ratchet. May need a long skinny funnel when it’s time to fill up oil as the defector is in the way. I think I’ll do the oil cooler fan next. We’ve got major constructions where I live and it may help me when I do get stuck in traffic.

sportglide (11-25-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

I found it to be an easy install if you have the right tools. Fan was on in less then 10 minutes and the wiring was straight forward. The bike is already wired for it, just need to place the wiring harness between the P&A under the right side cover (150 plug I think?) and there is a plugged Deutsche connector near the fan that is the logic input from the switch.

And as others have said the switch goes into the far right side of the left switch pack and that is actually easy to install. Once the ECU is coded at the dealer off you go!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Yet another thing that should just come standard on the bike... Geeze...
Yeah, just like the fan assist oil cooler. I installed it myself and fortunately my dealer flashed the bike for free. Makes a big difference especially here in Florida when sitting at lights on in traffic.

Hd keeps telling us were buying a "premium product" then we find out it costs thousands more get there!

jamala00 (07-06-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought it online today, looking forward to using it this summer. I have painted deflectors, so I'll be carving up the right side one to fit, that should be awesome.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando
I found it to be an easy install if you have the right tools. Fan was on in less then 10 minutes and the wiring was straight forward. The bike is already wired for it, just need to place the wiring harness between the P&A under the right side cover (150 plug I think?) and there is a plugged Deutsche connector near the fan that is the logic input from the switch.

And as others have said the switch goes into the far right side of the left switch pack and that is actually easy to install. Once the ECU is coded at the dealer off you go!
Same result here. Did the comfort fan,oil cooler and wiring just by following the instructions.Had required activation done on 5000 service.Running like a clock for a year!

sportglide (11-25-2018)

Quick Reply: M8 coolflow fan