Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 coolflow fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Mine reads out in the odometer display ...fan on , fan off, and fan auto when you cycle the switch, which is by my driving lights switch

Old 07-29-2018, 09:36 PM
patrikr
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on everyone's feedback I'm going to pull the trigger on this and have the dealer install it at the 1k service next week. I'm only 5.8" and can just only flatfoot as is, does this tuck in under the seat or does it stick out a little?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:50 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by patrikr
Based on everyone's feedback I'm going to pull the trigger on this and have the dealer install it at the 1k service next week. I'm only 5.8" and can just only flatfoot as is, does this tuck in under the seat or does it stick out a little?
It hides behind the Deflector and will not effect your inseam. I am shorter then you and have no issues.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:29 AM
patrikr
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando
It hides behind the Deflector and will not effect your inseam. I am shorter then you and have no issues.
Awesome, thank you
​​​​​​

Old 08-06-2018, 08:05 AM
maddscot
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

So as a follow up to this, rode with the better half yesterday for a 200 mile loop, back country two lane easy and lazy. Air Temp was low 90s and wife noted that the heat was a bit less, but she still was feeling the burn, more so of course when we got into town to snag a bit of breakfast.

Went to the dealer, had the happy talk as a new customer (just got the bike last month) so the usual "how you liking the bike?" and "are you here to get some new stuff?" and then had a chance to speak to the service manager and parts manager at the same time. First off, the dealership has been great and the team there nice, that being said...

Asked about the heat for the passenger, both stated it was due to the cat being there and yes more heat in that location than before, especially for the passenger. Said they would suggest bringing it in to when I get my break in done (in about two weeks pending miles) and they would look first at the lean/rich settings to see if that would help. The Service Manager said they often are set up poorly due to emissions etc. Neither noted that they have heard that much about, but were aware of it, not many complaints at all. I asked about the fan, and they have not installed one yet, so no feedback on that. However they sure pushed a Stage 1 install...! Told them I wasn't ready just yet to pay the Harley tax as the bike runs great, just the heat is an issue for my wife needs to be addressed. I don't mind the $299 for the fan (again noting they have not had one purchased or installed at the dealer yet to their knowledge) and I am hesitant to lay out $$$ for the Stage 1 Kit yet.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Been thinking about this kit - good info here - subscribed...

Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Update report - I had a CoolFlow fan installed on my 2017 Ultra Limited approx 3,600 miles ago. On roads and highways above about 35 mph neither my passenger or I have any sense of there being too much heat produced by the engine or exhaust system. There is some heat felt at speeds below 35 mph, but it doesn't become excessive until we are in stop-and-go traffic and the ambient air temp is >85F. At that point, it can become uncomfortable simply because heat flows from more places than the fan can handle, and even the roadway radiates heat.

For reference, the Limited is the first HD touring bike we have owned. Our previous touring bikes were all liquid-cooled with the exception of a Victory which was like sitting atop a smelting furnace in warm weather. Most of the time our Limited is no more of a heat problem than our GL1800 or K1600GTL. The CoolFlow fan was a good addition. A small part of the time the heat from the Limited is uncomfortable, and we do what we can in hot weather to avoid areas where we know traffic will be slow.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:01 AM
CharliesHarley
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think part of the confusion with the wiring/poor instruction is on the instructions that come with the fan kit I just received is dated 2016-08-22 and has 5 pages with awful instructions. I searched the HD page and found a later version of 2017-03-14 with 9 pages going into more detail/wiring diagram which did seem to help. Still the dealer could not get it turned on and he actually said my oil cooler fan is not working either, which it always did but for some reason the cool flow was locking up the system. Anyway they were kind of at a loss even worse I purchase it online and they weren't going to warranty any of the new HD parts from another dealership. So I took it home removed switch and wiring harness and my oil cooler fan started working so I applied 12 VDC to the coolflow fan and it worked. I have a replacement switch and dash panel on order then we will see/return to dealer for round 2...

The following users liked this post:
dcfatboy (11-24-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

The box mine came in did not have the switch with it - dealer installed the fan and we are waiting for HD to ship the switch... thanks for info I will pass it on to my tech.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

If a Harley tech can't figure out how to put this on your bike you should save your money and do it your self. It isn't hard, It's two screws and a couple of plugs. The dang harness can ONLY GO ON ONE WAY.

Quick Reply: M8 coolflow fan