Sponsored by:

Modifying Screaming Eagle slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 PM
pab
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying Screaming Eagle slip-ons

I lost my head a few months ago and purchased a pair of Screaming Eagle slip-ons on eBay for a decent price for my 2017 Ultra Limited. I also installed a new air box, and had the stealership do a ECM download (what a con job).

I was ok with the sound they produced for a while, but now I'd like them to have a deeper tone, and be a little louder. I know, buy a set of V&H, Rush, Rineharts, or.....I'd like to keep from spending any more $ on making my bike sound a little better. So, has anyone out there performed a little home surgery on their Screaming Eagles, and were you pleased with the outcome?

BTW, I contacted Fullsac and was advised they have nothing to offer when it comes to modifying Screaming Eagle slip-ons. They can modify OEM and CVO mufflers, but not Screaming Eagles. ?????

Old 04-10-2018, 07:18 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
I lost my head a few months ago and purchased a pair of Screaming Eagle slip-ons on eBay for a decent price for my 2017 Ultra Limited. I also installed a new air box, and had the stealership do a ECM download (what a con job).
so you bought the SEPST right? if not then the dealership did not do an ECM download on your M8

Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so you bought the SEPST right? if not then the dealership did not do an ECM download on your M8
I think there is a stage 1 download that dealers will flash to a bike without purchasing the tuner.

Itsa rip-off because they charge 1 hour or more bench time for what essentially is a 5 minute job, but still an option.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM
pab
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding mjwebb. Yep, I bought the SEPST, which is an ECM download same as the ECM downloads of yesteryear, except now we have to buy the "Street Tuner", which isn't really a tuner, and it costs triple what was charged for a ECM download.

But, all this is beside the point. Have you ever modified Screaming slip-ons?

Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I think there is a stage 1 download that dealers will flash to a bike without purchasing the tuner.

Itsa rip-off because they charge 1 hour or more bench time for what essentially is a 5 minute job, but still an option.
that was in the pre M8 World, and pab, no on the modifying mufflers

Old 04-10-2018, 02:27 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

I currently have a loose baffle in one of my Cannons and have often thought about taking it apart to see if I could modify it any. I haven't done so yet because Fullsac said that the Cannons are hard to get apart, something to do with the emblems I believe. Anyway if you do go for it post some pics and results. I may go for it if someone else does.

The following users liked this post:
madmat (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 PM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I modified mine, trying for a little deeper sound, and it worked. If you stick your finger in the end, you'll feel a gap between the exit pipe and the perforated baffle. I wanted to get rid of that gap, so I used an exhaust expander and expanded the inside end tight against the perforated baffle. It's the same volume, but a little deeper. It got rid of the pfft sound.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 AM
sgt_gman2005
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flstcbob
I modified mine, trying for a little deeper sound, and it worked. If you stick your finger in the end, you'll feel a gap between the exit pipe and the perforated baffle. I wanted to get rid of that gap, so I used an exhaust expander and expanded the inside end tight against the perforated baffle. It's the same volume, but a little deeper. It got rid of the pfft sound.
great idea! do you mind posting pics? thanks

Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 PM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005

great idea! do you mind posting pics? thanks
It's hard to get a good pic looking in a muffler, but where the color changes in the pipe is where it begins to flare. You can see in one pic where it expanded enough to split the seam in the perforated baffle. These have a thousand miles on them since I did this.

Attached Thumbnails Modifying Screaming Eagle slip-ons-img_1164.jpg   Modifying Screaming Eagle slip-ons-img_1165.jpg  
madmat (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

There's a thread somewhere over in the Softail forum about modifying Street Cannons if that helps.

madmat (04-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Modifying Screaming Eagle slip-ons