Sponsored by:

Clutch push rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 PM
IrishDave
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch push rod

I purchased a replacement clutch push rod in hipes that it will help with the fluid transfer issues my road king is experiencing. I can't find a diagram in the service manual, or any vidoes regarding swapping it out. I understand how to do it on previous years but the nut isn't there now. Does anyone have a link or pictures that could help?
thanks

Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Pull the retaining ring and everything just pulls out. Pretty easy.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM
IrishDave
4th Gear

Thank you very much, just what i was looking for

Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 PM
tonyd2017
Road Master
Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Keep us posted on your oil transfer,

Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM
IrishDave
4th Gear

I swapped it out, I think it is promising. You could see the amount of play in the stock push rod versus the one i bought.
i don't mind riding in the cold, but they finally salted and graveled the roads this week, so unless we get a good few days of rain to get it off the roads, i won't get enough miles in to really test it out for a bit unfortunately.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where did you purchase the clutch push rod?

Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 PM
IrishDave
4th Gear

Gregg W off facebook. Saw discussion of the clutch push rod fix in stonecold's the fix is in thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Add me to the list of will see, get back with a report soon....

My 18 RGS just started to transfer after 25K miles, it used to drop to add and stay between servicing. now its taken an unpleasant turn. I got Gregg's Rod, its a tad shorter, not sure why he did that? I did not measure it but the clutch works so it seems the hyd system did take up the slack.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 PM
IrishDave
4th Gear

Like i said, I'm dying to get miles on it and see how it effects the transfer. My part of NJ is supposed to get ten inches of snow this weekend, so the roads are a mess right now with gravel and salt.
i saw a video on Macomb county choppers fb page showing the wiggle room the stock push rod has and the lack with the replacement part. I did the same thing when i installed it and it is extremely noticeable that it is a tighter fit and I'm hoping that causes it to prevent the transfer.
I had a few sportsters, one of which my father gave me and i rebuilt when i first came home from iraq, and a Yamaha Raider, but this is the first bike that I'm absolutely in love with, so I'm really hoping that this fix does the trick.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Add me to the list of will see, get back with a report soon....

My 18 RGS just started to transfer after 25K miles, it used to drop to add and stay between servicing. now its taken an unpleasant turn. I got Gregg's Rod, its a tad shorter, not sure why he did that? I did not measure it but the clutch works so it seems the hyd system did take up the slack.
I noticed this as well when installing this pushrod in a friends bike. My theory for the shorter length is to minimize the movement with the pulsations from the assist slip clutch. The pulsation could have created a pumping effect on the longer rod and tighter adjustment. With the shorter rod there is just enough slack and the lever position is not at the end of the travel. The pulsations would be less violent. Seems it was more in 2/3 point where the friction zone felt better. At least that’s my observation anyway.

Last edited by RK14SGS; 01-17-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch push rod