Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just sucks that we are all here trying to re- engineer a piece of machinery that we paid nearly 30k for just to get it to have drivability and dependability.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:28 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Service manager at my dealership told me I was lugging it and causing it to transfer oil...you would think they could come up with something better than that...

Old 03-11-2019, 06:20 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by drod
Service manager at my dealership told me I was lugging it and causing it to transfer oil...you would think they could come up with something better than that...
Unbelievable

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 PM
bikermikee
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered the new clutch rod from Greg Williams last fall but didn't install it yet, too cold. But did I read on another thread their was a new variant of the fat clutch rod that had better contact points possibly? I messaged Greg a few days ago but never got a reply. Is he out of the clutch rod businesses now?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I haven’t seen any description on why the “fat flat rode” works.

I’m thinking that since the issue is due to a lower pressure developing in the primary, it sucks from the transmission. Maybe some primaries leak a little pressure, and thereby didn’t develop enough vacuum to suck from the transmission. The flat side of the rod allows pressure equalization between the primary and transmission. They make it a bit thicker, because the stock rod does not have enough material thickness to create the needed flat, and it would also weaken it....

But, I could be wrong...I thought I was once...but I was mistaken. So now I am..
Well IMO, It's pressure variations stemming from the Slip-assist pressure plate changing clamping load plus possibly some additional pulses from mainshaft seal flex / leakage. Pulsations are caused by resulting forces the power stroke and slowing on compression for upstroke. Flywheels do not spin at a constant speed. That's why these bikes need compensators.

Anyway the thinner pushrod has enough clearance to allow the pulses to do their work. Fatter PR is 44% heaver and the clearance around the rod is decreased from about 38 thou to say 6 thou.. No sucking action gets through.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:52 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

You should never speak to him again,you can't fix stupid.

The following users liked this post:
madmat (03-17-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

And if you spin it at higher revs it'll sump

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Campy Roadie (04-19-2019), madmat (03-17-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:48 PM
BAGRRR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short..... It doesn't suck! LOL

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Well IMO, It's pressure variations stemming from the Slip-assist pressure plate changing clamping load plus possibly some additional pulses from mainshaft seal flex / leakage. Pulsations are caused by resulting forces the power stroke and slowing on compression for upstroke. Flywheels do not spin at a constant speed. That's why these bikes need compensators.

Anyway the thinner pushrod has enough clearance to allow the pulses to do their work. Fatter PR is 44% heaver and the clearance around the rod is decreased from about 38 thou to say 6 thou.. No sucking action gets through.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 AM
sweetglidez
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

New 19’ only 250 miles on it since I bought it last week but the fluids are staying put. 👍

Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the flat on the larger rod even necessary? Has it been tried without?

Quick Reply: Transfer Issue