Sponsored by:

Shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 AM
ehudson
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shifting problem

So did some work on my 2019 sport glide last night with m8 107 engine. Changed the primary cover, transmission and clutch cover. New oils in primary (belray) and tranny (redline synthetic). Also put on a slip on tab performance exhaust. Went for a small test ride after doing everything and the shifting is now off. Doing normal excellerating and everything is fine but when I put the throttle down it shows either 2 or 3rd gear and I was in 4th or 5th and it did not want to excellerate. Just trying to see if anyone else has had something similar and see what you think the problem might be?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Based on what I know about how the gear indicator works, it calculates the gear based on your speed and engine RPM. So, if it's showing a lower gear, it means the RPM is too high for the speed. To me, that screams that the clutch slipping. It not wanting to accelerate supports that as well.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM
ehudson
Novice

Originally Posted by Crabchuck
Based on what I know about how the gear indicator works, it calculates the gear based on your speed and engine RPM. So, if it's showing a lower gear, it means the RPM is too high for the speed. To me, that screams that the clutch slipping. It not wanting to accelerate supports that as well.
I never gave that a thought, makes complete sense. I'm assuming the oil I put back in the primary must be the culprit then? I noticed the viscosity wasn't as thick, it was the belray primary lubricant 80w.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:39 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by ehudson
I never gave that a thought, makes complete sense. I'm assuming the oil I put back in the primary must be the culprit then? I noticed the viscosity wasn't as thick, it was the belray primary lubricant 80w.
dump it, put Formula + in and take it for a spin..easy peasy validation

Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

My vote would be something in the clutch cover swap (unless you meant derby cover).

I would not hesitate to put Bel-Ray anything, in anything.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Last edited by ROCKOUT Rocker Products; 03-17-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:05 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 143 Posts

Not sure what you mean by changing all the covers, you may have screwed up the clutch adjustment. You should have been able to feel the clutch slipping if the gear indicator was off by several gears, I don't think the Belray is the problem, especially if it is listed as a primary lubricant. Check your clutch adjustment first before you dump out the Belray.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

possible you overfilled? although anyone could overfill it only so far until it pours out and not sure if being level with the edge is considered overfilled..but Harley says this about it so they must think it's possible..??

"Do not overfill the primary chaincase with lubricant. Overfilling can cause rough clutch engagement, incomplete disengagement, clutch drag and/or difficulty in finding neutral at engine idle."

Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM
ehudson
Novice

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Not sure what you mean by changing all the covers, you may have screwed up the clutch adjustment. You should have been able to feel the clutch slipping if the gear indicator was off by several gears, I don't think the Belray is the problem, especially if it is listed as a primary lubricant. Check your clutch adjustment first before you dump out the Belray.
I should have added it was also the hydraulic clutch cover. So I was wondering if that's where something messed up?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM
ehudson
Novice

Originally Posted by mjwebb
possible you overfilled? although anyone could overfill it only so far until it pours out and not sure if being level with the edge is considered overfilled..but Harley says this about it so they must think it's possible..??

"Do not overfill the primary chaincase with lubricant. Overfilling can cause rough clutch engagement, incomplete disengagement, clutch drag and/or difficulty in finding neutral at engine idle."
No definitely didn't overfill it. Had the bike standing upright and filled it right below the level actually so it didn't come out.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:04 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by ehudson
No definitely didn't overfill it. Had the bike standing upright and filled it right below the level actually so it didn't come out.
What do you consider right below the level? I am asking because if its actually at the correct level it is no where near coming out of the derby cover opening.

Quick Reply: Shifting problem