Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly different (hp!!) goals.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 AM
cgaulzetti
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Slightly different (hp!!) goals.

Hi guys:
My name is Craig and I just picked up a ne 2018 Street Bob! I love the bike and have made its ergonomics right for me with a Whiplash saddle, some Lucky Dave’s San Diego bats and a Memphis fairing.

My other bike is a tuned and very loud and fast 2017 Aprilia RSV4- i don’t expect my Harley to be that bike anymore than I expect my GT500 Mustang track car to be my Cayman. However- I can never leave well enough alone and I want my Harley to be louder and faster and want more power especially up in the rev range. (I’m also going to upgrade the suspension but that’s another topic.)

In short- I don’t really care about low rev torque or how the bike pulls when it’s in the wrong gear. I tend to ring my vehicles out and coming from sport bikes this thing has amazing low end torque already it just dies as revs increase.

I know most people choose cams first and then get the right exhaust and intakes and tunes- but I am already committed to an RB Racing Pro Stock Challenge Pipe. I love those folks and the whole drag race/land speed record history and experience.

So- given a stock 107- and the fact that I want to use that pipe- and I want to get as much performance mid to high up in the rpm range- what cam do you guys recommend? I’ve read all the comparisons and it all was amazing- but it seems most folks are building towards torque down low.

I coukd alsi see nysekf doen the road going with with a big bore kit- but for now finances dictate I stick with a “stage 2” style setup. Tune, air cleaner, cams, and related things I’ll need to get it done.

Im in San Diego so of course would love to work with someone local. Bike is of course, “off road only, lives out of state. Etc. etc. “

thanks for for your help! Also things like a Feuling camchest kit make sense?

i cross posted this in the softail forum but it seemed like the M8 upgrade knowledge was here! Thanks!

Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

My 1976 Sportster tank looked like yours but in black.
I'm thinking I don't need one of the popular "torque" cams for my lightweight (for a Harley) bike.
If I keep the RPM's up just a bit a cam like the S&S 475 should be just the ticket, since for now I want to keep my bike a 107" and not pull the heads off for high lift springs, so want a "bolt in" cam.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM
17RGlide
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#humblebrag listing everything you own haha. never heard of that pipe but as far as cams for the M8, as stated before the S&S 475 makes great power. A lot of guys run the 468 or 472 cam and are happy with it as well. If planning on a big bore id just wait and do all the internals at once. Get a decent air cleaner and a tune and let er' eat for a while.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

HI.... Welcome to the forums.