Sponsored by:

Cheap DIY preventative for M8 Oiling problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:22 PM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cheap DIY preventative for M8 Oiling problems

Just got my first M8, it’s the earliest build 2017 FLHTP with Less than 200 miles (300km) on it and to my knowledge it hasn’t sump nor transferred oil yet. Just like with my other Harleys I like to do performance mods on my bike and this potential sumping and transfer problem send a chill down my spine because we are paying insane luxury goods tax here so HD cost an arm and leg, obviously I don’t wanna break mine ... I have searched and researched this forums enough to gather informations but sometimes many good thread can become a bickering war that derailed the thread and made me confused.... I just wanna recap what I learned/understood from the various threads and confirming my findings with the good folks here.

Sumping issues fix:
- latest HD oil pump with backing plate w/ seal (official HD fix)
- A1/M3/Fueling Oil Dipstick (Aftermarket fix)
- Drill and tap OEM oil dipstick, thread fitting with rubber hose and small filter vent to atmosphere (cheap redneck fix)

Oil Transfer fix:
- Primary vent kit (official HD fix)
- Fat Rod (Aftermarket fix)
- Drill and tap inner primary cover at the same location as HD recommendation for vent kit then fit rubber hose and filter to vent primary to atmosphere (cheap redneck fix)

I know as for now none of the above fix guarantee 100% fix but I would like to install the fix with cheap redneck route for both POTENTIAL problem so at least I can put my mind at ease until something actually happened...

thanks all!!

Old 09-18-2020, 12:13 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by uwiik
Just got my first M8, it’s the earliest build 2017 FLHTP with Less than 200 miles (300km) on it and to my knowledge it hasn’t sump nor transferred oil yet. Just like with my other Harleys I like to do performance mods on my bike and this potential sumping and transfer problem send a chill down my spine because we are paying insane luxury goods tax here so HD cost an arm and leg, obviously I don’t wanna break mine ... I have searched and researched this forums enough to gather informations but sometimes many good thread can become a bickering war that derailed the thread and made me confused.... I just wanna recap what I learned/understood from the various threads and confirming my findings with the good folks here.

Sumping issues fix:
- latest HD oil pump with backing plate w/ seal (official HD fix)
- A1/M3/Fueling Oil Dipstick (Aftermarket fix)
- Drill and tap OEM oil dipstick, thread fitting with rubber hose and small filter vent to atmosphere (cheap redneck fix)

Oil Transfer fix:
- Primary vent kit (official HD fix)
- Fat Rod (Aftermarket fix)
- Drill and tap inner primary cover at the same location as HD recommendation for vent kit then fit rubber hose and filter to vent primary to atmosphere (cheap redneck fix)

I know as for now none of the above fix guarantee 100% fix but I would like to install the fix with cheap redneck route for both POTENTIAL problem so at least I can put my mind at ease until something actually happened...

thanks all!!
why do people spend 20 to 30 thousand dollars on a Harley and then want to do “cheap redneck fixes” on them? I’d replace the pump with the 8 lobe pump and the seal, it might not transfer so I wouldn’t worry about it until it does. My 2017 has 34k on it, never has transferred a drop.

Problems with these bikes are completely blown out of proportion because a forum only attracts people that have had issues. None of the people I know with M8s have never had any of the M8 issues. Except me, but I beat on mine

The following 2 users liked this post by Kyle Moore:
slippin_jimmy (09-22-2020), smitty901 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:24 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Fat rod isn’t worth the box tape they use, stick to the HD vent, it’s the only proven solution.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hd589:
dajogejr (09-21-2020), RGS88 (09-21-2020), smitty901 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 03:31 AM
19special
Banned
Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
why do people spend 20 to 30 thousand dollars on a Harley and then want to do “cheap redneck fixes” on them? I’d replace the pump with the 8 lobe pump and the seal, it might not transfer so I wouldn’t worry about it until it does. My 2017 has 34k on it, never has transferred a drop.

Problems with these bikes are completely blown out of proportion because a forum only attracts people that have had issues. None of the people I know with M8s have never had any of the M8 issues. Except me, but I beat on mine
I guarantee you don't beat yours as hard as i beat mine. I bought mine on July 4th weekend and rode it till it snowed (2200 miles) then tore into it and made it a 128. It's on the back wheel pointing to the sky every time I get out of garage. Never had a problem EXCEPT on the way to Colorado from Ohio a month ago and fuel pump took a **** at 7200 miles.

So OP should replace the fuel pump now as well before it goes out 1000 miles from home like mine did. :0 LOL

Old 09-18-2020, 06:57 AM
-Boogieman-
Road Master
Received 1,346 Likes on 546 Posts

How about simply riding the bike for a while as you normally would and see if any of these concerns appear. You may not have to do anything at all, so why bother??? Your bike may not have been built on a Friday or Monday...

Last edited by -Boogieman-; 09-18-2020 at 07:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 121 Posts

2 things are easy to do. The primary vent fix. You can do that in about an hour or so. The A1 vent. I have both of these on my Stage III 114 bike with almost 15K miles.
Also, vent your breathers to the air (catch can) instead of inside the air cleaner. I have this done too.
Then lastly, the 8 lobe oil pump is the final fix (if you are worrying about this stuff) but more complicated than the others. I have the original oil pump. I have a very early build '17 model year (bike purchased September 2016).
No issues so far with my bike.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

the HD vent is like 5 bucks, way less than any "cheap redneck fix" I bought the entire vent kit, with all the gaskets etc it was only 26 bucks, the rod thing is a redneck fix IMO and its not cheap.

The following 2 users liked this post by mikes300:
lp (09-18-2020), smitty901 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:50 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,839 Likes on 5,290 Posts

Own a 2017 RGU early production. It tugs a big side car and now has 45,000 miles on it. It has never transferred trans to primary, it has never sumped.. It has not had one issue other than oil pressure sensor failing. Early on it seems they might have been a little of the transfer from tarns to primary. After it had been checked over found it was not doing it. best thing you can do is avoid a lot of internet rumor and hype. yes some did have transfer issues . It was solved . What they have never figured out is why some did some did not.
Sumping had a couple different possible causes most had no issues. SS oil pumps sumped more often .
Simple if you suspect and issue check it both are easy to find out if it is doing it. No reason to take it in. If it has an issue there are fixes. If not leave it alone.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,625 Likes on 4,669 Posts

Originally Posted by 19special
I guarantee you don't beat yours as hard as i beat mine.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
AliensilverFXDBI (09-19-2020), Campy Roadie (09-19-2020), dajogejr (09-21-2020), slippin_jimmy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:40 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

I bought a used 17 RGS this past winter that had about 4000 miles on it. It had no issues but like you I wanted to bullet proof it for my own peace of mind. I ordered the new 8 lobe pump ( I used the stock backing plate) and the vent from Surdyke HD and some gaskets to do the work. The vent is pretty easy to do. There is several videos out there on changing the oil pump, it's not to bad but will take a experienced wrench the better part of a day. I spent around $200 or less doing everything. No regrets here.

Quick Reply: Cheap DIY preventative for M8 Oiling problems