Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

More premium for fewer bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Jemezcrusher
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More premium for fewer bikes

I have an 04 Road King and also had an 03 KLR 650 Kawasaki that I ride in the woods around our house. I live up in the mountains at 8000 ft so Harley riding is limited from April to late October. I suspend everything but liability in the winter on the Harley and then add it back in the spring.

I added the coverage back in spring and had to pay 87.00 in premium to round out the annual policy period. I sold the Kawasaki a couple weeks ago and called to take it off the policy. They sent me a bill for 108.00 to finish out the policy period for the Harley. Said I don't get multiple vehicle coverage anymore.

I argued about the ridiculousness of the situation but to no avail. Essentially, having 2 bikes on the policy cost me 350.00 a year. Sell one and the rate goes up to 450.00.

Does this make sense on any level?

Carrier is progressive

Last edited by Jemezcrusher; 09-18-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Vec
Road Master

Received 461 Likes on 262 Posts

yes, more is better.

i've always had a discount for multiple vehicles on the policy

Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Change companies. You made a chnage it was a chance for them to test you on rate increase. Move on.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 PM
e11charlie
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Progressive has been doing some shady **** lately. When I got my SG a couple weeks ago they quoted a rate increase from $560 a year to $980. The lady on the phone argued with me that they didn't give a discount for USAA in Idaho. Long story short called back the next day had to fight with them to get a manager. Finally got him to tell me that all of the discounts I previously had on there were taken off. Like the USAA, multiple policies, 10 year longevity award, no accidents or tickets, etc. He couldn't say why or who did it. I am guessing the ****ing oxygen thief I spoke to when I bought the bike did it. Put the discounts back on and increased only $60 because I upped my comprehensive coverages. Ill wait until my policy expires then go shopping for less shady ****.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by e11charlie
Progressive has been doing some shady **** lately. When I got my SG a couple weeks ago they quoted a rate increase from $560 a year to $980. The lady on the phone argued with me that they didn't give a discount for USAA in Idaho. Long story short called back the next day had to fight with them to get a manager. Finally got him to tell me that all of the discounts I previously had on there were taken off. Like the USAA, multiple policies, 10 year longevity award, no accidents or tickets, etc. He couldn't say why or who did it. I am guessing the ****ing oxygen thief I spoke to when I bought the bike did it. Put the discounts back on and increased only $60 because I upped my comprehensive coverages. Ill wait until my policy expires then go shopping for less shady ****.
Progressive did that to me couple years back. I had been with them 11 years. They jacked me up just like you and gave no reason. I know riders with two DUI's that were paying less. I dropped them. When to GEICO . Rates was even lower than before Progressive jacked me up. Switched my cars also.
No loyalty any more go with the better deal. When I trade the 2016 for the 2017 my rates went down with GEICO.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Kevin91
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Some insurance companies are dramatically better than others, definitely worth a few calls. Interestingly enough, for me, GEICO was significantly more than what I ended up with

Old 09-23-2017, 08:49 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher
I suspend everything but liability in the winter on the Harley and then add it back in the spring.
why carry liability in winter if the vehicle isn't being driven and you'll never hit/kill anyone?

having no comprehensive is a huge risk- fire, theft, tree falling on garage etc.....personally I'd carry comp over liability when in storage. JMO

Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
why carry liability in winter if the vehicle isn't being driven and you'll never hit/kill anyone?

having no comprehensive is a huge risk- fire, theft, tree falling on garage etc.....personally I'd carry comp over liability when in storage. JMO
That.

When I was on the road for up to 10 months at a time, I would drop all but Comp until I got back home.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:15 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

H-D insurance/progressive did the same thing to me. Cheaper to keep the sold bike on then remove it.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Was with Progressive for over a decade, but when I got the Limited, the premium went up significantly from what I was paying for my first bike (suzuki 650). Geico was way cheaper for me, so I switched to them. Months later I switched my cars to Geico as well. Left the boat policy with Progressive, that policy is pretty cheap, and in 10 years, no premium increase.

Quick Reply: More premium for fewer bikes