Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

ignition upgrade on panhead

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM
1956panhead
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition upgrade on panhead

I would like to upgrade the ignition and replace the points and condenser for a more reliable and achieve a increase in performance. What ignition and coils would you suggest? 56 panhead with what I believe is a mostly stock panhead engine. Does it effect performance to change from dual fire to single fire?

Last edited by 1956panhead; 10-02-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by 1956panhead
I would like to upgrade the ignition and replace the points and condenser for a more reliable and achieve a increase in performance. What ignition and coils would you suggest? 56 panhead with what I believe is a mostly stock panhead engine. Does it effect performance to change from dual fire to single fire?
Points and condenser is about as reliable as you can get. You will not get anymore "performance upgrade" by changing. Unless you want to go to a magneto. The best and easiest thing you can do is convert it from 6 volt to 12 volt if that has not been done. You will get a fatter,hotter spark between the spark plug electrode. Not to mention brighter lights and easier to find light bulbs. Hope this helps ya.
Edit. 1956panhead. If you have not discovered this site. Go here. These guys have forgot more than I will ever know about Pans.
http://www.hydra-glide.com/index.php

Last edited by OLD 96; 11-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:10 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

You might consider checking this system out. Folks that use it seem to swear by it. Drop in unit...

http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

The ebeyond is fantastic- have one on my '53

I was having problems with the points pitting due to:

unstable voltage, using the old point shunt

poor quality condensor

the ebeyond fixed that, drops in, no visible signs of change works on 6 or 12 volt

Mike

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
JGordon
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by OLD 96
From 6 volt to 12 volt. Not to mention brighter lights and easier to find light bulbs. Hope this helps ya.
Edit. 1956panhead. If you have not discovered this site. Go here. These guys have forgot more than I will ever know about Pans.
http://www.hydra-glide.com/index.php
I'm looking for the upgrade for my 32E but Wendy says they are out. Maybe 6 months....maybe a year.

Do you know of a source?

Sorry for jumping in the thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JGordon
I'm looking for the upgrade for my 32E but Wendy says they are out. Maybe 6 months....maybe a year.

Do you know of a source?

Sorry for jumping in the thread
Other than e-beyond, there is Perry Ruiter out of Canada. He does 12 volt conversions of the 32-evil to a 12 volt system that almost masks the conversion. Requires a voltage regulator that take the place of and looks like the old cut-out relay. Adds one additional wire that unless you are an AMCA nut no one will notice,

The down side... it is definitely more expensive that the e-beyound system. I am using Perry's system on my 49 EL and using a voltage reducer on certain components in order to give the appearance of a stock machine.

The down side...it is not cheap and definitely more expensive than the e-beyond. Why the 6-12 month delay?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
JGordon
Advanced

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Other than e-beyond, there is Perry Ruiter out of Canada. He does 12 volt conversions of the 32-evil to a 12 volt system that almost masks the conversion. Requires a voltage regulator that take the place of and looks like the old cut-out relay. Adds one additional wire that unless you are an AMCA nut no one will notice,

The down side... it is definitely more expensive that the e-beyound system. I am using Perry's system on my 49 EL and using a voltage reducer on certain components in order to give the appearance of a stock machine.

The down side...it is not cheap and definitely more expensive than the e-beyond. Why the 6-12 month delay?
I'm not sure why the delay. I'm just putting together a rider.It will be registered as a 47 but other than the left case, flywheels and heads it's gonna be a little of everything.

I don't want to worry about the charging system so the best is what I want.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Here's a pic of the ebeyond 2000.

Flawless- i only wish he made one for my Trail 90

It's only a sensor, the advance is still manual

Mike

Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
JGordon
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Here's a pic of the ebeyond 2000.

Flawless- i only wish he made one for my Trail 90

It's only a sensor, the advance is still manual

Mike
I'm getting one of those, I just need to get my generator converted so I'm going to try and get in touch with Perry Ruiter out of Canada.

Thanks for the pic

Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is email for Perry Ruiter perry@ruiter.ca

You can drop my name, Dave Newman of Kali. He does a lot of conversions and probably will not remember me but I am very satisfied with his work.

Quick Reply: ignition upgrade on panhead