Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Internal Throttle mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
PanGuy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Throttle mechanism

I'm looking for an internal throttle and cable for my 62 pan. Been told the aftermarket stuff doesn't work properly. Anyone have experience with that or suggestions as to where to get an internal throttle mechanism and cable?
Thanks,
Kim

Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,561 Likes on 2,887 Posts

some moron in china thought the cable for the internal was the same as you evo braided cable --

the solid steel cable for the internal is not bad to replace and set --

do you know how to take it apart at the bars if not i can explain what we teach in my shop

Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM
PanGuy
Intermediate
Default throttle

Johnjzjz, thanks for the offer. I hope to be taking you up on that. I need everything for the throttle. Got a guy from another forum that said he might have what I need so I'm waiting to hear from him. I'll be in touch.
Thanks,
Kim

Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Walt1959
6th Gear

When replacing the internal wire in my 59 Sporty, I used lawnmower throttle wire from a small engine repair shop. Lasted the next 14 years that way.
Good luck.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Walt1959
When replacing the internal wire in my 59 Sporty, I used lawnmower throttle wire from a small engine repair shop. Lasted the next 14 years that way.
Good luck.
Nice i will remember that --- i am going to get one and measure it see if its different -- jz

Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
PanGuy
Intermediate
Default handlebars

Johnjzjz, I want to take you up on your offer to teach me how to take apart my internal throttle. Bought a pair of stock bars. Of course, I need the pull throttle and not the push. On the throttle side of the bars there is a plug at the end of the grip. No slot for screwing it out. Does it just pry out? Not sure how to get it out without damaging it. On the advance side there is no plug and I see where I could use a screwdriver to screw that plug out. It is inside the bars a bit where the smooth plug on the throttle is right there at the end. Now, getting the pull throttle set up seems to be an issue. I hear VTwin has the parts but haven't heard from anyone that they work. Right or wrong? Where does one get the right setup? Called one aftermarket guy and he said don't put yourself thru the headache and just run and external throttle. But, I don't want to do that. I want it to look stock, even though I'm running a Bendix and not a Linkert. Any suggestions? I'm downloading the manual instructions.
Thanks,
Kim

Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PanGuy
Johnjzjz, I want to take you up on your offer to teach me how to take apart my internal throttle. Bought a pair of stock bars. Of course, I need the pull throttle and not the push. On the throttle side of the bars there is a plug at the end of the grip. No slot for screwing it out. Does it just pry out? Not sure how to get it out without damaging it. On the advance side there is no plug and I see where I could use a screwdriver to screw that plug out. It is inside the bars a bit where the smooth plug on the throttle is right there at the end. Now, getting the pull throttle set up seems to be an issue. I hear VTwin has the parts but haven't heard from anyone that they work. Right or wrong? Where does one get the right setup? Called one aftermarket guy and he said don't put yourself thru the headache and just run and external throttle. But, I don't want to do that. I want it to look stock, even though I'm running a Bendix and not a Linkert. Any suggestions? I'm downloading the manual instructions.
Thanks,
Kim
It has to have a way to take the end cap off and NO prying is to be done -- remove the rubber throttle grips if you have to and look into the end - some of the rubber grips do not have chrome end caps that are removalable they are just closed so remove it

you need a parts book and a service manual - the parts are easy to understand the outer cable has a round stay on it as it is held in place inside the bar, the inner cable slides into the outer ( you need a smooth grease we use a grease called green grease - 2 guys garage / tractor supply some times they have it ) with a needle point grease gun end / pump it in the grease - once you have the new outer length figured out - dont forget it has to be free to turn with the fork / the bars, spend the time on that all the factroy clips in the location they were originaly in ) -- the inner cable connects to a barrel with a small socket head allen - and then grease the bar end tube make sure the works slides in and out easy then align the barrel and put the pin and some have a slot stay on it as well, and screw the throttel handle on and in the end it has a spring and screw Cap retainer - screw it in all the way, and as you turn back and forth it the cable will walk in and out Smooth we hope --jz

if you bought the stuff from tedd cycle V twin you will be spending a boat load of time making it work it will but its a thing -- jz

Last edited by johnjzjz; 01-31-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Just replaced throttle cable on '69 FLH with cable from V twin. The hardest part was getting the cable through the hole in the bars above the tree. I used a small inspection mirror and a hanger with a hook bend in it to pull end of cable through the hole. It took a little time as everything is backward using the mirror but it worked.