Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Orange Peel Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Super Chad
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Orange Peel Question

I have a 1998 fat boy that has a "custom" paint job. I use that term loosely. The color is black cherry metallic, which I love, but the amount of orange peel and texture in the paint is obscene. I have dreamed of owning a fat boy for years and I finally have one, and the only thing I dont like about it is the paint.

I am not completely inexperienced when it comes to body work, but I am no expert by any means. I have read many reviews/how-to's about removing orange peel by wet sanding/buffing, but ran across this product that claims to be able to remove the texture without sanding. I was curious if anyone has any experience with the denim pads and would be able to offer any good advice.

Any tips in general as I try to tackle this job are much appreciated.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Chad
I have a 1998 fat boy that has a "custom" paint job. I use that term loosely. The color is black cherry metallic, which I love, but the amount of orange peel and texture in the paint is obscene. I have dreamed of owning a fat boy for years and I finally have one, and the only thing I dont like about it is the paint.

I am not completely inexperienced when it comes to body work, but I am no expert by any means. I have read many reviews/how-to's about removing orange peel by wet sanding/buffing, but ran across this product that claims to be able to remove the texture without sanding. I was curious if anyone has any experience with the denim pads and would be able to offer any good advice.

Any tips in general as I try to tackle this job are much appreciated.
Unless you are very experienced in using a rotary polisher I would stick to wet sanding with 2000 grit and then using a dual action Machine and appropriate pads and product to get your desired finish. The denim pads are a real time saver in the hands of an expert detailer but certainly quite unforgiving. If you do use them remember to mask off any high points or delicate areas and use a paint thickness gauge to know how much clear coat you can afford to remove.

The following users liked this post:
Super Chad (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Super Chad
Novice

I appreciate your feedback and will follow your advice. I wanted to try the denim pads because they are "easier", but dont want to risk ruining the paint I have on there. Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 764 Posts

Actually the denim pads are safer to use than sanding. Put it on a DA and follow CarPro' directions. They make top tier stuff and it works.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Super Chad
Novice

I decided to wet sand by hand, turned out pretty good. Before, during, and after first buff.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

looks good !

Super Chad (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Way better than before...damn that was a lot of orange peel, I would be ashamed to let something like that out of my shop if I was a body man...

Super Chad (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Super Chad
Novice

Yeah there was a ton of peel in it. I can understand some, and even live with it, but that was an unreal amount and had to be fixed.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 764 Posts

It would have been cool to take a paint reading thickness before and after to see how much was actually removed
Looks way better

Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 PM
OLDBOY
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you got the hang of it Hoss..carry on.

Super Chad (06-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Orange Peel Question