Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

2017 Road King Special Olive Gold Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM
joeyvaz
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2017 Road King Special Olive Gold Paint

So I have a 2017 Road King Special and added some lowers and a Tour Pack. I first purchased Colorite paint and it was it was darker than my OEM paint and had heavier gold flake. I then purchased a qt from my local dealer. Parts guy used my VIN# to look up and order paint. Waited almost 2 weeks and then a month for my buddy to paint the parts for me. This paint from Harley looks almost identical to the Colorite batch. Much greener and heavier flake.

My buddy who painted the parts swears it is the paint. He used a gray base coat under the paint both times. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow with a part he painted and one of my side covers so they can see the difference. I think Harley had 2 different Olive Gold paints. I'm wondering if I got the wrong one sent to me, but twice? The Colorite paint and Harley paint are virtually identical. Would dealer order me another quart if I bring them the remaining paint and parts to see the issue?

Attached are some pics of the 2 different shades.

The following users liked this post:
porkster (06-10-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

Have you wet sanded and compound/polish the parts yet? That might change things a little.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Have you wet sanded and compound/polish the parts yet? That might change things a little.

Yes, it was wet sanded and polished in these pictures. It is definitely greener than the stock color. Went to dealer today and they called their local painter. The painter stated that not using the correct Harley Acitvator will make the paint cure differently-which he thinks is what caused the color change. I confirmed this with a second painter that does motorcycles exclusively. He only paints Harley paints with Harley's activator. I ordered the Harley activator-it was only $60. Will take a week or so to get here, but I'm hoping this fixes the issue. My buddy will respray and use the Harley activator to see what we get.

I will keep the thread updated in case this helps someone in the future.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 PM
imbthree
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on the color match? I got a 2017 olive gold road glide that I want to put stretched lower bags on. I already have 2020 black take offs and just need them painted. Not much info on this color on the web...

Old 06-19-2020, 11:09 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master
Received 596 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by imbthree
Any updates on the color match? I got a 2017 olive gold road glide that I want to put stretched lower bags on. I already have 2020 black take offs and just need them painted. Not much info on this color on the web...
I did the colorite can it was also darker and more gold flake , i did the front fender and you can tell the difference but it would look pretty bad if you did the bags next to the stock fender .

The following users liked this post:
RGS88 (08-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 11:36 AM
imbthree
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I did the colorite can it was also darker and more gold flake , i did the front fender and you can tell the difference but it would look pretty bad if you did the bags next to the stock fender .

Did you use the Harley activator like the OP was gonna try? Or did you just use whatever the shop provided?

Old 06-21-2020, 11:48 AM
GreenMonster
Road Master

No just the spray can from colorite and 2k gloss clear.

i used a light gray primer .

Old 06-22-2020, 08:42 AM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

I wound iup getting the HD Activator and having the parts re-sprayed. The color matched a bit better, but still not 100% if I had to guess, i would say its is about an 85% match.

Since these are aftermarket parts and not the actual tins of the or bags, I decided to leave it as is. Most people don't realize it. But if know it doesn't match perfectly. These parts will be removed when i trade in the bike so I can live with it.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:09 AM
GreenMonster
Road Master

With multi stage pearl paint jobs you have to paint the entire bike.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:21 AM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

[QUOTE=GreenMonster;19210642]With multi stage pearl paint jobs you have to paint the entire bike.[/QUOTE

This is single stage paint with flake in it. And harley sells color matched slim fenders and they match 100%. I purchased the fender almost 2 years later and it matched my bike perfectly.

Quick Reply: 2017 Road King Special Olive Gold Paint