Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:40 PM
msreyno
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission won't engage

My 93 Heritage won't shift into any gear. You can hear agrinding noise when pushing the bike in neutral. If you engage the transmission and release the clutch it really makes lot of noise but still does not engage in any gear.

How bad does this sound? The bike has 29K miles on it and I have had it since 3K miles but never experienced any transmission problems.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer
Default RE: Transmission won't engage

sorry but its bad. I asusme you mean by when you engae the trans you slect a gear. is it the same in any gear ? But to be honest I wouldn't run it any more. Either ring the shop you use or get the wrenches out.
Drop the primary oil first and hopefully there will be metal in there as oppsed to finiding it in the trans oil which is even worse. Pull the primary cover and have a look and get back to us.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
msreyno
Stage II

Drained the primary and gear box and didn't find any metal shavings in either one. Will take it into the shop this week. It sounds like the noise is coming from behind the clutch assembly when I spin the rear wheel with it elevated.

Thanks for guidance.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

I wonder if your front pulley has come loose, Have known the nut come lose which lets the pulley move a little it then wears away the splines on the pulley in the end the out put shaft just rotates inside the pulley does a wonderfull job of reaming the hole Hardened steel shaft versus alloy is a no contets fight, at least the pulley is easier and cheaper to replace.
Get her up on the stand and with the engine off but in gear see if you can turn the rear wheel. The othersilly thing is you have checked your belt still has teeth on it, just a thought as the other halfs sporty stripped the teeth of its belt and I admit My inital thought at the side of the road was clutch/ gearbox till I looked down as I tried to pull of and saw a bald spot on the belt as I slowly paddled the bike forward. One of the best things about sporters is you dont have to strip the primary off to change a drive belt