Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 PM
hawk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain tensioner

Has any one installed a hydraulic primary chain tensioner On an 88 engine? I have an 01 Heritage and I am considering installing one,Where can they be purchased? what kind is best? How hard is the install?Forgive the dumb questions from the old guy.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:03 AM
igniter
Cruiser
Default RE: Chain tensioner

I don't know about the hydraulic one. But I know someone who has the spring loaded one. Under normal riding it works just like it is supposed to. But under extreme riding it can be pushed down by the chain allowing the chain to jump a tooth. Most of us wouldn't have this problem, but then again most of us don't ride like the guy I'm talking about. Anyone else?

Old 03-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

J&P. Take the shifter, board and outer primary off. Make sure you have a gasket. Easy install, just follow the package instructions. Check your chain, clutch, starter jackshaft and gears while you have the outer off. Check the rear shifter linkage behind inner primary while you have it apart, since it's a big job if it's loose and you already have 1/2 of it apart. Same for drive belt. Make sure you torque it back right. Pretty easy job, about 2-3 hours.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:17 AM
hawk
Road Master

Thanks Joe,Will this eliminate the adjustments?
ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

J&P. Take the shifter, board and outer primary off. Make sure you have a gasket. Easy install, just follow the package instructions. Check your chain, clutch, starter jackshaft and gears while you have the outer off. Check the rear shifter linkage behind inner primary while you have it apart, since it's a big job if it's loose and you already have 1/2 of it apart. Same for drive belt. Make sure you torque it back right. Pretty easy job, about 2-3 hours.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

Yes, you don't need a hydraulic, a spring one will work fine. Personally, I would not put one on unless you had to pull the outer primary for another reason. It's not a bad idea to manually check your chain and clutch every time you change your oil. Automatic adjusters make you lazy, and you may miss an obvious problem if you don't look into the chain and clutch case every once in a while. Just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:50 AM
hawk
Road Master

You are right,I tend to get lazy when I know better,I will take your advice. Thanks
ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

Yes, you don't need a hydraulic, a spring one will work fine. Personally, I would not put one on unless you had to pull the outer primary for another reason. It's not a bad idea to manually check your chain and clutch every time you change your oil. Automatic adjusters make you lazy, and you may miss an obvious problem if you don't look into the chain and clutch case every once in a while. Just my opinion.