Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Drive Belt making a squeak/squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 AM
05-Night-Train
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Belt making a squeak/squealing noise

I own a 2005 HD Night Train (45K miles). The guy I bought the bike from installed RC component wheels, pulley's, and brake rotors. The issue I am having now is that the drive belt is making a lot of noise (squeaking) as it goes around the rear pulley, and as you know the faster you go, the louder it gets. I do know that the rear pulley was replaced before (same kind) because the old one wore out. It acutally cut the belt because the teeth on the pulley were worn to a sharp point and the belt eventually broke. I have checked the allignment of the rear wheel, and it's good. I have even taken it to a shop and they verrified it. I took the pulley off and took some measurements of teh width. There was a diff. in width, but nothing dramatic. I also put a dial indicator on it, and same thing, nothing dramatic.

So what could it be? Anyone have any idea's before I replace the pulley, belt and front drive gear?

Devin

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Hi Devin and welcome to HDF from the UK. Despite your wheel being in alignment, you may find that a small change in alignment will cure the problem. It is often the edge of the belt rubbing against the side of the rear pulley that causes that squeal.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Brake dust and road dirt on the belt can cause a chirping too. Try cleaning it with warm water and a little mild dish detergent. I use my wife's tooth brush to clean mine. Wife's teeth are turning a little black, but the belts on all the bikes are nice and clean.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

All good advice and yes I've used rh8234's wifes tooth brush on my bike and it works quiet well!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM
05-Night-Train
Stage IV
Thumbs up Drive Belt making a squeak/squealing noise

To grbrown: are you saying to offset my allignment slightly? If you are, I guess it will be trial & error to which side.

To rh8234 & soft 02: Thanks for the advice. I will try it ASAP.

To all: What is the rule about using belt dressing? Is this a no no?

Thanks to all for the advice!!

Devin

Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 05-Night-Train
To grbrown: are you saying to offset my allignment slightly? If you are, I guess it will be trial & error to which side.

To rh8234 & soft 02: Thanks for the advice. I will try it ASAP.

To all: What is the rule about using belt dressing? Is this a no no?

Thanks to all for the advice!!

Devin
Do not use belt dressing!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Do not use belt dressing!
Agreed! No dressing on the belt should be needed!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
05-Night-Train
Stage IV

Well that's settled. No belt dressing it is..I'll just spit on it....lol

Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Devin, what I am saying is that a subtle alteration to your alignment may cure the problem. That doesn't mean your wheels will be out of alignment, as it is actually quite difficult, without good equipment, to get it perfect. It is likely that at present your alignment is not quite on the button. As already suggested, there are several ways to set alignment, so let me introduce one that I use.

This photo shows my Deuce rear wheel, with pulley attached, looking down with the tyre beads behind the pulley in line, top and bottom. What you can see is the belt track on the pulley, which when measured is just about 3/16" away from the tyre. Enlarged, there is just a hint of daylight between the tyre and the back of the pulley. This is a very snug fit in my bike, yours will be significantly more than that.

If you can confidently measure that distance on your wheel, install it in your bike with that measured clearance where the tyre and belt pass each other. You will probably find that you need to make a small adjustment to your alignment, but rest assured if you check it by any other means it will be close enough. You may also enjoy a quieter ride!

When I install that wheel all I do is set belt to tyre clearance. I use a 3/16" allen key as a 'feeler' gauge! That gets everything as close as matters and I don't suffer belt squeal.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-24-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Expanded.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM
big gus
Novice

I have tried everything for the same problem.Even posted here a number of times,Even with the suggestions,I still have squealing when laying on the trottle.Nothing when idling.Made the mistake of using the belt dressing,worked to stop the squealing,but picked up road dust and sand.Not a good move,unless you want to spend hours cleaning the pulleys and belt.Check the Oil in the primary and Tranny.Sometimes that can produce a squealing if low.Also you might not want to hear it but a cracked Motor mount can cause this also.It throws the alignment off when you twist the trottle pushing the belt against the pulley.producing a SQUEALING.Good Luck if you find a soultion please post it.

Last edited by big gus; 11-20-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Drive Belt making a squeak/squealing noise