Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Spring cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:59 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spring cross country trip

Hey guys... Leaving NJ on a cross country trip in late May for 3 weeks. Heading south through TN and crossing AL, MS,LA into Austin TX to meet a friend. From there we are heading up to OK and heading west. Gonna stop at the Four Corners monument then head to Vegas for a night. From there over to Los Angeles then up to San Fran. From SF,I'm gonna take US 50 across NV then pick up 80 and head home. What kind of weather should I expect? I know I'm not staying dry for the whole trip

Old 01-10-2016, 06:51 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ptl203
Hey guys... Leaving NJ on a cross country trip in late May for 3 weeks. Heading south through TN and crossing AL, MS,LA into Austin TX to meet a friend. From there we are heading up to OK and heading west. Gonna stop at the Four Corners monument then head to Vegas for a night. From there over to Los Angeles then up to San Fran. From SF,I'm gonna take US 50 across NV then pick up 80 and head home. What kind of weather should I expect? I know I'm not staying dry for the whole trip
Wow, sounds like a great trip! I'm going through the same southern states in April, but from west to east.What route(s) do you plan to take for these states? This thread may be helpful:
Timing for Southern Cross Country Trip

I did the entire Rt 50 NV last year and loved every second of it(pic below). Have you considered just staying on Rt 50 all the way home?

Attached Thumbnails Spring cross country trip-nviuf4hfqkef7n_gjr9bme9f0waja0u708usi9uwi38.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

Have a good trip hope you have time to stop for a beer or two.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:24 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Wow, sounds like a great trip! I'm going through the same southern states in April, but from west to east.What route(s) do you plan to take for these states? This thread may be helpful:
Timing for Southern Cross Country Trip

I did the entire Rt 50 NV last year and loved every second of it(pic below). Have you considered just staying on Rt 50 all the way home?
I haven't planned the exact roads yet but looks like I'll be picking up 10 to cross Into TX for Austin. I haven't considered taking 50 across due to timing. Figured I'd get better time on the interstate

Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Even in late May you hit snow on 80 in California

Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of weather websites out there that give you historical temps and rainfall data for any location along with projections.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Except for the Rockies where you may have to dodge snow, expect hot. Sweaty hot in the south and dry hot in the west.

BTW, I know you don't want to hear this but cut your mileage in half or double the time. Four Corners, blah. Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon (north rim will be cooler), thumbs up.

I'm from Joisey so, hey just sayin'.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I80 in the west has very high truck traffic and I avoid it if I can. Not much scenery from Nevada east, lots of desert and prairie. Late May early June can be peak time for Mt. runoff from snow melt so the passes may still be cool but chance of running into a snow storm is slim.
In California late may is a great time to go to Yosemite, the falls are really big that time of year and it looks like they are getting lots of snow this winter. The Red Woods are another must see. Sequoia Nat Park is near Yosemite.
Have a great trip

Old 01-16-2016, 08:16 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the info guys

Old 01-16-2016, 01:02 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since Vernal brought it up, about riding Yosemite in late May... It was the first week of June, 1978. We got to the park after 6PM and the gas station was closed. We fixed dinner in the valley at a campsite but the meadows were swamped because of snowmelt. The bugs were horrific. We decided to bail out to higher ground.

Tioga Pass had been plowed out a couple of days before. The snow was so freakin' deep there were no pullouts to park in and get our long johns on. We ended up stopping in the middle of the road for a "costume change". I went to reserve at the top of the pass and rode downhill with the engine off. The snow was plowed to 15 feet up the side of the road.

We found a campsite around 11 PM on the other side along, I think, the Susan River.
As cold as the ride was that night, it was 115 crossing the Mojave just a few days before.

What a great trip. 38 years later I remember it like yesterday.

BTW, this was a round trip from North Jersey and why I said you need more time or less miles. Good luck and have fun. Don't over plan, let the trip come to you and find Serendipity.

Quick Reply: Spring cross country trip