Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Today's Ride.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:58 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Default Today's Ride.....

Today two buddies and I headed out at 8am for a full day of riding. We met up in Davis Junction, IL and made our way to Knucklehead's, in Eagle Wisconsin, for lunch.

After lunch we headed to Oconomowoc and stopped at Wisconsin Harley-Davidson, so one of my buddies could get a new tail light lens for his Street Glide. They didnt have any new ones, but they did have a used one, which they gave him for free.

We headed west, on county roads, until we found ourselves on the west side of the state. We then made our way back into Illinois and down to Galena. We took Stagecoach Trail out of Galena to Lena.

More back roads got us to Byron, where we had dinner at The 5th Alarm.

After dinner it was a night time ride along the Rock River, on Rt 2, to Oregon, then country roads home.

I got home at 8pm. So the last Sunday of summer was 12 hours of Harley riding, with two great friends, covering 418 miles. With Friday and Saturday's mileage totals, that gives me 918 for the weekend.

I also surpassed the 22,000 mile mark for the season today as well.

I don't have any pics because my phone camera won't start.

Next up, the first fall ride of 2016....lol.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Sounds like you had a good day's ride. Here was my day of riding. It's Sunday and two buddies and I go for a ride. We head south from San Francisco on I280, which is also jokingly called our "Zen" freeway because of it's peaceful beauty. Then east on Old La Honda Road to Alice's, a local biker hangout. This is riding through a dense redwood forest. Then over to the coast on Highway 84, and south for 30 miles along the Pacific Coast Highway, CA Route 1. Then east back on back roads into the Santa Cruz Mountains, which is also a dense redwood forest, back to Alice's, and then back to the city on 280. About five hours and a bit less then 200 miles. Warm weather, clear skies, good friends, machines running well.

Everyone else, where did you ride today, or recently. Tell us about your rides.

The following users liked this post:
jeffro09 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Wife and I left early for breakfast since it's still feels like summer here in Dallas. After a nice meal we headed out. She asked if I knew where we were going. My answer was
NOPE! Just hit as many back roads as we could until about 11:55. Home before it got to hot! It may have been the last weekend of summer but it didn't seem like it.

jeffro09 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up Jeffro! That's my stomping ground, you hit some of my favorite hot spots. Unfortunately I was working on Sunday but I will be enjoying my end of summer rides this week. Sounds like a very productive year for you I'm a little jealous of your numbers.

Stay safe

Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by glider11
Nice write up Jeffro! That's my stomping ground, you hit some of my favorite hot spots. Unfortunately I was working on Sunday but I will be enjoying my end of summer rides this week. Sounds like a very productive year for you I'm a little jealous of your numbers.

Stay safe
Thanks. I try to get off the beaten path and find a road I haven't been on each time I take a day ride. That gets harder and harder....lol.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Thanks. I try to get off the beaten path and find a road I haven't been on each time I take a day ride. That gets harder and harder....lol.
Indeed. In my area the pavement ends all too often, transferring to unknown miles of gravel and dirt.

My favorite rider, see picture, asked, can we take the king to school this morning? A second request wasn't needed. My day of customer contacts turned into 30 miles of the main hi way to Marshall then hours of those backroads back to school by 3.

here, many of the main roads use the hill tops, but secondaries often drop into and follow the valleys, fabulous scenery and bluffs, waterfalls in the wet months.

Busted by a credit card gas stop 40 miles away....

jeffro09 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 09:23 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Today was beautiful, clear, sunny, no wind.....but I was at work.

I got home at 1630 hours, changed, and was on the Ultra by 1700.

I was able to find a couple of roads I hadn't ridden, so that was nice. I watched the sunset as I made my way back home.

I rolled into town as darkness fell. I got in 122 miles. Odds are, this was my last ride of summer.....unless I sneak in a few miles tomorrow.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Spring will be here but not soon enough. Hope you enjoy that one last ride.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Had today off, woke up to rain. It finally cleared off by 10am, so off I went. It was still cloudy and maybe 70°, but it was good enough for me.

I back roaded it down to the Starved Rock area, and continued south to the Vermilion River. Once there I took the last road before the river eastward. It didn't disappoint, curves, hills, smooth, no traffic.

I bypassed Ottawa, via more back roads, and made my way to Seneca. From there I took Old Stage Road, along the Illinois River, to Morris.

I found me some more back roads, such as Lisbon, Fox River, Griswold Springs, Little Rock...to name a few, and made my way back north.

I cut through the burbs, on secondary roads, and made my way to Aurora, where I grabbed myself a frosty mug of A&W root beer. Yummy.

From Aurora I found some of the roads less travelled, to get me back to the country back roads. Then it was I to Dekalb, where I stopped at Dekalb Harley-Davidson, and made an appointment for my 65,000 mile service. They tried to talk me into a new M8.....but didn't try quite hard enough.

From there it was 20 miles to home.....it took me 50, lol.

I got home around 5pm and logged 251 miles. The sun was out while I was down along the Illinois River and the temps made it up to near 80. It was a great first ride of fall, I also topped and took in the sights here and there.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer, so the wife and I are heading out in the morning.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:44 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds nice. The weather in northern California is also perfect for riding now.

Quick Reply: Today's Ride.....