Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Solo journey to the Black Hills.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Default Solo journey to the Black Hills.

On Monday 062617 I leave for Hill City South Dakota. This will be my first solo cross country trip on a bike.

Stay tuned for photos and updates.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM
filtrod
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Dakota Ride

Have went on 4 rides out to that part of the country Three solo and one with two other bikes both enjoyable. When you ride by yourself you stop when you want and leave when you want. When I rode with the other two riders they wanted to start off slow in the mornings and I was really wanting to be rolling for 6:30 in the morning. Like most things there is good and bad in riding alone.
As you start to getting in the western part of the country say from north west of Dallas and on further northwest be prepared for all kinds of weather and wind, lots if wind to contend with. Not sure of the route you are taking but once you get past Raton Pass scenery gets really nice. If you have the time try and ride the million dollar highway Durango over to Montrose. If able spend a night in Ouray Colorado, it is a small mountain town that is just a neat reminder of years gone by.
Enjoy your ride
Filtrod

Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Enjoy. Even riding solo you will find lots of people to chat with. And maybe even ride with. I rode for 2 hours yesterday with a fellow Travler going in the same direction. Then she went one way, and I went another. I travel solo almost all the time

Old 06-21-2017, 02:55 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by filtrod
If you have the time try and ride the million dollar highway Durango over to Montrose. If able spend a night in Ouray Colorado, it is a small mountain town that is just a neat reminder of years gone by.
Enjoy your ride
Filtrod
Did that last year. Did the San Juan Skyway loop....beautiful.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:57 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Enjoy. Even riding solo you will find lots of people to chat with. And maybe even ride with. I rode for 2 hours yesterday with a fellow Travler going in the same direction. Then she went one way, and I went another. I travel solo almost all the time
I've traveled to Moab and back to Illinois, in my Jeep, so the Limited should be more comfortable....and cheaper. lol

I do day trips of up to 500 miles, solo, all the time, so I've been wondering how a week long trip would be. I guess I'm about to find out.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

I have done Sturgis and beyond twice solo and twice with others. As previously said, you can ride when you want and stop when you want. If you are with others, you will talk to them If you are by yourself, you will talk with anybody. Ride safe and have a good trip.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 PM
andy57
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a great ride, I usually ride solo as I leave very early enjoying the day then stop at night for some good refreshments and food. Every great once and a while I can find a suitable riding partner but not too often. It is hard to find someone used to my riding style.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

When you stop for fuel grab a Gatorade and walk around and drink it down every time. Can't stress enough how important it is to stay hydrated on these long trips. You are living the dream enjoy every mile.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't know from where in Illinois you will be starting, but Route 20 is alot better then anything else out there.....bring octane booster...or buy at gas stations .....you will be hard pressed to find anything over 89 gas.....at least until you get to Rapid City....

By the way where did folks get the idea you were going to Colorado? I saw your post, nothing there about it.....

Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Redhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop at the Alpine Inn for supper one night in Hill City, $12 for a bacon wrapped tenderloin, only thing they have on the menu other than the desert menu.

Quick Reply: Solo journey to the Black Hills.