Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Harley HQ Visit

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Dvc41
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley HQ Visit

Just wondering if anyone's been to the Harley Corperate HQ in Milwaukee. Planning a road trip out there next year, obviously we'll go to the museum and we'll have to visit the corp. HQ/original factory, just wondering if anyone who's been there can tell me if there's anything to see there or just take a few pictures of our bikes in front and then move on. Want to plan how much time we'll need there.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I would carve out a few days to make sure you see it all. I was fortunate to have a guide (Nevada72). The museum (in my opinion) is awesome, there were machines there that I'd only seen in pictures; starting with Serial Number 1. They even have some historically significant motorcycles bolted to the floor so you can sit on them for pics. The day we arrived was a bike night as well. There were bikes there that you wouldn't ordinarily see at a local bike night. There's a restaurant there but there's a really good place not far from there. I have to get out my pics to remember the name.

The engine plant in Menomonee Falls is a great tour as well. I had only been to the Capitol Drive location years ago. Aside from that, there's some good riding around there. I can't say if it'll be all that for you, but to me, it was one of the highlights of a 5500 mile Sturgis/out west trip this past summer.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,451 Likes on 1,599 Posts

We did the back roads tour ( totally worth it) , steel toe tour ( don't go during changover, they aren't making current year stuff, and won't let you see next years stuff), and the archives tour ( if you like old iron, this is worth the few extra $)

Old 11-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Curt5811
Road Captain
Received 175 Likes on 118 Posts

The Corp HQ on 37th & Juneau is kind of cool, it does have a Visitor's Center, but there's not very much to it. Take some pics to say you were there and move on. I live in the area and have only gone there once or twice. A heads-up... the neighborhoods to the north and east are very high crime. Like within a couple blocks, it gets real bad.

The real show is at the Museum and the Pilgrim Rd plant tours. The Capitol Dr plant has been closed for several years. The only thing still operating on that property is the skunkworks/development facility. Thats a no-go.

If you're coming for the 115th, the main party will be at the Summerfest Grounds, plus another event for vendors about a 1/2 mile north at Veterans Park. The various dealers in the area will also have multi-day major events/street parties going on

Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

In August 2016 I got a tour of the Corporate HQ with my HOG chapter. Very interesting. Not sure how they arranged it, but it is possible. If anyone is a member of a HOG chapter I'd check to see if they can work with the Dealership or Regional HOG director (whatever they are called now) to see if one can be set up. With the 115th, it may be tough this summer

The visit was part of a 3 week vacation trip I took. I have a write-up on the trip in my blog broken into 3 sections. My visit to the HD Museum and the HQ building are in this thread. Scroll to the bottom 1/3 of the page, the HD part was on Friday August 5

Feel free to poke around and read about the rest of the trip or any of my other trips