Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Worst Road you've been down

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:25 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

End of Mountain Loop Hwy. Looks fine on the map. Get there to discover it turns into a 4x4 trail that had just been covered with softball sized rocks to help with the mud.

I was told was only 15 minutes... it was 15 miles and no matter what you couldn't stop moving.

But hey, didn't pop a tire or dump it and now I have a story. And it was beautiful.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.0506...1b1!2i24?hl=en

(photo is just off the road in a break spot, but same rocks)

Old 12-01-2017, 04:41 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

my road is by no means a bad road, but it was funny after going 1300 miles to Sturgis it was the worst and only rough 2 miles !

Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 461 Likes on 233 Posts

Zoar valley rd. Out of Gowanda N Y

Last edited by Low budget Dan; 12-01-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Without a doubt, Hywy 40 from Bakersfield through Barstow to Needles on the way to the Laughlin River Run. Nothing but hot hot hot red *** roads with nothing but flat on the sides. Going faster does no good cause the air is so hot it frys your face. The only saving grace is a woman on the back to pour water on your face while your riding.

But it's worth it when ya get there! I miss it now being in Minnesota.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:33 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,318 Likes on 8,539 Posts

Las Vegas to SoCal unless you have a death wish. Full of crazy gamblers who like to gamble on the highway

Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 PM
HAD20
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was taken a couple years ago, seven of us riding from Ohio to Washington, this was on return trip in Wyoming, forget exactly where it was at along the route, we all still laugh about it!

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (12-03-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You are bringing back BAD memories man!

I have several BAD memories. Here is the 1st one that came to my mind....

I was on 287 southbound from Wyoming to Colorado late in the afternoon and if u know the area, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE was around.

It started to rain which is fine since I LOVE LOVE LOVE riding in the rain. I know.......

Then I saw signs of road work. No big deal right? Some hard pack for a bit and then all is well. Right? NOPE! VERY WRONG!

I saw more and more road work signs like usual but then it was HOLY SH*T BIG TIME.

I was immediately thinking VERY FAST! Do I stop? Turn around and go back? Go to Cheyenne for the night? Give this a go!?!?!

Well, seeing the the road drops a little and all there is, is DIRT! That is all. NO hard pack. Just LOOSE dirt. Do I still do this?!?!?! I am re-thinking this really fast........... DECISION MADE............ LETs DO IT!

Before I get to the dirt I am running through my mind.....

* Steady power

* Plenty of steady power.

* Stay in the tire rut. NO WAY could I cross to the other tire rut since the earth is very soft. No way could I pick my bike up (if I fell) since upon lifting the bike I would sink into the soft dirt.

* Stay in 2nd (I think it was 2nd or maybe 3rd gear).

* Get ready to get into off road position.

I look up to see if this dirt road is short but I just can't see the end.

So I drop off the macadam <sp> road onto the dirt road and the front tire tries to find the path it wants. I flash back to riding horses whereby you let horses (while going down a steep hill) find its own path.

I started to slow down and thought....ok, gently a little more throttle.

Then "F"! My throttle hand started to shake nervously. WTF is this?!?!?!?!?! I am soooo scared I was accidentally throttling on and off a little bit. NO! I want a STEADY delivery of fuel.

The rain was not getting worse......GREAT!

Each time I looked up to see if there dirt "path" ends soon, I was very disappointed.

THE WRIST, THE WRIST! It has to be a STEADY throttle not a nervous nilly as I was.....SH*T MAN!!!

Finally I see a biker come toward me on the other side of the road as bad as my side and the expression on his face was memorable. Like WTF MAN! Followed by 1 or 2 cars.

For the life of me, I do not know if the road was in reality 1 mile long, 3 miles or even 5 miles, I just remember I was scared SH*TLESS.

I ride the USA/Canada a LOT and have been on all kinds of bad roads and paths but this one where the earth was more like sand than dirt, out in the wilderness (you guys may know the area in Wyoming) and I had no idea what types of wild animals if any where out there.

Although I carry, being overrun with more animals than I have rounds would not be pleasurable.

I guess when you are out in "no mans land" the rules and reg's of how you can tear up a road and leave it not so passable b4 u lay a new road differs from most others places I have ridden.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-02-2017, 06:46 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

we hit about 2 miles of this down to the dirt construction in Colorado last summer. One of the VERY few times I was glad to be in a car

Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have rode on some very slippery roads but that boiled Owl **** must be the worst

Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD20
This was taken a couple years ago, seven of us riding from Ohio to Washington, this was on return trip in Wyoming, forget exactly where it was at along the route, we all still laugh about it!
Kinda looks like the Big Horn Mountains...

Quick Reply: Worst Road you've been down