Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Worst Road you've been down

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 AM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

Maybe not the worst road I've been down, probably the most challenging, and I would do it again.

The Mokee Dugway
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-...ugway-usa.html

Last edited by L88; 01-07-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,745 Likes on 6,893 Posts

PA Turnpike followed by I-4 out of Orlando east toward I-95

Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Jarlaxle
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Jim
In my opinion there is no bad road just a challenging one. One I remember well was Interstate 10 riding across Mobile Bay in the middle of a water spout on out way to the HOG posse ride.
DC Beltway at rush hour...I-78...anywhere near Boston at rush hour. The only "challenging" part is staying alive!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
DC Beltway at rush hour...I-78...anywhere near Boston at rush hour. The only "challenging" part is staying alive!
Honestly! Any beltway around a major city near rush hour has to be the worst road, especially on a motorcycle, and ones I try to avoid at all cost. Some are 4+ lanes each way only divided by a jersey barrier with commuters zig zagging across all lanes at 80 mph. It's probably safest to stay in the left lane staying with the fastest cars and just praying to not have a blow out.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Two of the worst roads I've ridden were Rte 118 & Rte 112, both in NH. Those roads, from Lincoln, heading west to VT were rough, sandy, full of frost heaves and pot holes. Two lousy rides. To be fair, Rte 112 is also one of the nicest roads. Traveling east out of Lincoln toward Conway, that route is called the Kancamagus Hwy and is a beautiful ride.

One road I would not ride on a motorcycle is 340 in Maui, HI. Drove it in a car and was scared sh*tless, lol
I was going to mention that road in Maui 30/340. It's actually better on a motorcycle than a car (I have done it several times in a car and my rental harley). Hold on tight. Ron

Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin'Amber
For instance, last year, I rode south down US 285 from Carlsbad NM to Pecos TX on my way to Big Bend.

That road was awful. It's only a two lane road for many miles and cuts through the center of a huge oil/gas field. For starters, it was pouring rain that morning, which is never fun, and visibility sucked.

I've never seen so many Semi trucks nose to tail in my life. Every one hauling tanker trailers of brine or crude or machinery or whatever for the drilling operations. Unfortunately for us, me and my buddy were the only two willing to travel just at, or slightly under, the speed limit of 65 in the rain and gloom. Truck after truck just blew past us at every opportunity dousing us in spray.

If being surrounded by Semi's isn't fun enough, the road has a lot of dirt on it from all the truck traffic entering from the fields on either side. In the rain it made for a disgusting mess, being blasted with muddy water from everywhere. My bike has never been as filthy as it was following that road.

A local we chatted with the morning we departed warned us to "watch our ***" on that road as impatient oil field workers have been known to attempt to pass lines of commercial vehicles and had already caused numerous head-on collisions. Let me tell you, that factoid was not far from my mind as we rode in the muddy spray!

Thankfully the ride, while miserable, was otherwise uneventful.

So what about you? Have any memorable roads you'd like to avoid?
You forgot about the potholes large enough to swallow a bike! I lovingly refer to US-285 as the 'Highway to Hell', lol

Old 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

been coast to coast twice all back roads...if you never been on the road to Bodie California you never been on a bad road...https://www.bodie.com/

back in 2012 we had a local talk us into a new route (not the one we where on) and told cpl people in my group h58 is the best road in upper Michigan...

I explained that part is a 4 wheeler trail!!!!

he kept saying they just paved it and it was well worth the new route...off we went

12 miles of pure hell some the passengers in our group where in tears it was the softest sand I ever rode in on my bike....

H58 is the best road in Mich just not the part we where on it was 100 miles loop to go back and get to where we where going..

100 to go back or 12 miles of sand...

Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 PM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by L88
Maybe not the worst road I've been down, probably the most challenging, and I would do it again.

The Mokee Dugway
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-...ugway-usa.html
Done it more than once, can’t wait to do it again, awesome!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That's easy

The 5 Fwy through LA. You won't have any kidneys left after 20 miles.