Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

CT to Bourbon Country

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Dilligaffer
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CT to Bourbon Country

CT to Bourbon Country – July/August time frame - getting some information from the Kentucky Bourbon Trail website as to where the distilleries are. Plan to visit the Louisville Bat and Corvette Museum / factories. We plan to start our tour in Louisville, proceed down to Bowling Green then up and over to Lexington. The wife likes wine, didn’t see much when googling around for that, and we both like brewpubs (can also get some good food at a lot of those places). I am looking for some suggestions for good rides, places to eat along the way, sights to see, etc.
Thank you in advance for your ideas

Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

We did the Corvette Museum last year and toured Makers Mark. I wish we had toured the factory. The Makers Mark tour was nice with a nice tasting. I have heard the Jim Bean tour is nice. We thought about it, but we were about distilleried out as we also did Jack Daniels.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

We did Jim Beam about 5 years ago, they were still building the visitor's center which is now complete and I hear good things about, plus you do get a tasting unlike Jack Daniels. You will be very close to Nashville, I would recommend a night if you can find the time. Great town. Bourbon trail area is very nice riding, have fun.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

We did the tasting at JD. I don't really care for the taste of JD, but they did have one item a Frank Sinatra blend that was really good. He was a big JD fan. It is $150 a bottle. I think the story went that they now have a new law where you can taste and purchase whiskey there.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

We've been on the BT before, and are planning a ride there this coming May. Here's a few thoughts based on what we've experienced:

Do plenty of research on where your favorite distilleries are located. Check out their hours of operation and tour options. Plan your day's ride (route) to waste as little time as possible. It's possible to visit 4 or more distilleries in a day but you'll compromise by not taking a tour at each stop.

The roads are fine and scenery beautiful. Definitely old-Kentucky and historic.

Frankfort is a bit of a hub for several good distilleries. Within 45 minutes of there you will find Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Wild Turkey, Austin Nichols and a few others.

To the west and south is Bardstown. Within 45 minutes you can visit Willet, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Limestone Branch and a couple more. Bardstown is also home to the Bourbon Heritage Center. The town has good hotels, a very historic inn with its own restaurant. The Rickhouse Restaurant is a superb place to eat.

I find little of value in Lexington. Louisville has The Evan Taylor Experience but you'll have to travel all the way downtown to the river. I hear its really cool, but I don't want to fight traffic that bad. The rural routes are so neat anyway.

You might find yourself frustrated by all the bourbons and cool associated merchandise for sale along the way. A bike can only tote so much sauce and souvenirs you know.

Check your calendar and try to avoid weekends associated with holidays and big events. Bourbon is cause celeb in Kentucky, and a holiday or event just means more crowds. Weekdays are best of course.

For our May trip: We plan to meet friends in Bardstown and stay 2 nights there. We'll arrive on Friday morning and spend the afternoon visiting a couple stills around Btown. Saturday we'll start the ride early and head to Frankfort for an all-day Bourbon & Bikes (our name for it) run. Think of it like a poker run for distilleries.

Plan it and ride it. You'll have a real blast.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

Correction to previous post: Louisville has The Evan Williams Experience.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 AM
Dilligaffer
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I will not be going to J.D. (we had a falling out in 1979 and still can not reconcile). Dillbilly thank you as I missed a couple of those distilleries and the Rickhouse sounds like my kind of place and will put them on the ride plan. My wife's chemo nurse mentioned a place also where a lot of the thoroughbred horses are housed and will give us the name of the place at our next visit.
Thanks again to all and keep the ideas coming.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:36 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Gonna be hot that time of the year. Just saying.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member

I guess my main overall advice is to do lots of research for planning your route. It takes time to get from one location to the next, as they aren't ten minutes from each other. If you go leisurely and take a couple good tours (which are very interesting and educational) you might end up making it to 3 good distilleries in a day. That's why I advise thinking in terms of an itinerary each day. This is too much fun to be hurrying through. One example of how to do it (per day) is to plan for 3 good must-stops, with a couple extra options if time allows. If all you want to do is stop, taste and check off a visit then by all means plan for more. I prefer to hit fewer and enjoy them more...like fine bourbon.

There isn't much really good wine in Kentucky. My wife has a definite taste for good dry reds and what we've tasted out of Kentucky simply doesn't make the measure. No insult...they just don't have the combination of soils, climate and knowledgeable vintners to produce excellent wine.

Last edited by StoneTrekker; 02-14-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:43 PM
White Glide
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dilligaffer, my friend here at work has a side gig called Derby City Brew Tours. Check it out..... https://derbycitybrewtours.com/
Keith is an awesome, enthusiastic guy and loves his brew. It sounds like what you are looking for in the Louisville area.

I live in the area. Right in between Bardstown and Louisville. Bardstown you will find a few good distilleries. You also have Wild Turkey to consider as well. They are more towards Frankfort. I know this is a little out of your timeline... but this might be a consideration for you.... https://www.kybourbonfestival.com/
Also in Bardstown for a great time and dinner.... http://www.kydinnertrain.com/

Try to make it a point to go to the Churchill Downs museum as well.
https://www.derbymuseum.org/

There are two Harley dealerships in the Louisville area if you are wanting to get a t-shirt or need maintenance. They are here....
https://www.bluegrassharleydavidson.com/
http://www.harleydavidsonlouisville.com/

And while in Kentucky, why not visit here for the obvious?.... https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11449

I will keep you posted on other events if you would like me to. Last thing I want to do is overload you with info on things you have no interest in.... Enjoy your visit to the Blue Grass State!!

The following users liked this post:
Dilligaffer (02-21-2018)

Quick Reply: CT to Bourbon Country