Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Natchez Trace

Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Road it from Tupelo to Nashville. Nice, quiet, relaxing type ride like you would take on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Stop and see where Meriwether Lewis died. Interesting story. Much different from what you imagine when you read up on his life.

Shiloh Battlefield is not far. To date the most surreal experience I have ever had on a trip. The timing of my trip, weather, etc. probably had a lot to do with it, but, I felt the warm hushed breath of the dead that day. My wife said the same exact thing.

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (02-25-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

I've been wanting to visit Shiloh. Been close but never in the cards. Maybe this summer.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:48 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Vicksburg, port gibson and grandgulf are close to the south end if you're into civil war sites

Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 AM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We rode it north '13, got on at Clinton/Jackson, MS. Agree on watch your speed and deer/critters. Another couple was with us and hung back to enjoy the scenery too. Not sure where (it does get boring..) a LEO was going south, saw us and did a Dukes of Hazzard turnaround in the median, came flying up behind us, tailgated for a while (good thing DH had cruise set at 49..), guess he wanted DH to swerve/cross the line or something. After a mile or so, he flew around us and sped off.

Stop for lunch or a snack at French Camp https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/n...ench-camp.html

We spent the night in Muscle Shoals, AL and rode to the end near Nashville, TN
Be sure and stop at The Loveless Cafe for pan fried chicken at the end
https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/n.../loveless.html

The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:04 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree with what's already been said. It's a beautiful road, but not one to be taken in a hurry. The stops are the best part. That said, I didn't have time to ride the whole thing and enjoy the stops, so we bailed out after a few hours. I'd like to go back with plenty of time to enjoy the history. So, if you go, be willing to either just get a taste, or take your time. Either way, I think you'll be glad you did it.

Jackson Falls -- about a quarter mile hike (down and back) along a fairly steep trail just off the Natchez Trace Parkway.

The following 2 users liked this post by AtticusFinch:
leadman (02-21-2018), Spy11 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

It,s like riding on a cloud. You,ll want to gas it.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 AM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the Trace. Have been riding it since 2007.

North end from Nashville down thru Tn, maybe even on down to Tupelo, is the best section.

Natchez, MS at the south end is really interesting area to explore.

Plan to take your time, plan your gas and food stops well.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

The Trace is a road that I find myself riding at some point just about every weekend as I can get on it within 10mi of my home at three different points. Most of my rides are out of the Jackson area south to Natchez or north toward Tupelo, I have rode the entire stretch on several occasions. As others have said for the most part the scenery is unchanging, I find the parts north of Tupelo to offer the most change in scenery/elevations. If you are into history you will find the stops interesting, lots of trails off the trace are great as well.

As others said speed limit is 50 and it is patrolled pretty good, I just set the cruise at 53-55 and not worry about it, never been stopped. It is a tough road to ride without cruise because the long stretches with no traffic can easily have you twisting the throttle and next thing you know is look down and your cruising 70

Really no gas stops on the trace itself but it is not far between exits for small towns with gas, unlike the interstate there are no signs at the exits saying gas and food here and some exits may end you on a country road 10-15 miles in either direction to gas.

The Trace is nice in the Summer when the MS heat is constantly hitting mid to upper 90s as it is for the most part a pretty shaded drive. I don't recommend being on the road at night because deer are everywhere. MS has the highest per-capita deeer population in the US and second to TX in total number of deer and I think they all gather along the Trace at night LOL

Last edited by Mxdad; 02-16-2018 at 06:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mxdad:
sportglide (02-25-2018), Spy11 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 AM
JakeF14
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks everyone, I am into the historical side, and am in no hurry.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeF14
thanks everyone, I am into the historical side, and am in no hurry.

Lots of history along the Trace.

If you like Civil War, definitely visit Vicksburg. There is a museum in the old court house in town that had some really cool stuff. Of course the battlefield. Then down the road there is a museum at Grand Gulf that is ok. Then visit "Windsor Castle" just south of Port Gibson.

Restaurant in Vicksburg, "Number 10 Rooftop B&G" or something like that. Pretty good food and good view.

Old Country Store at near Lorman, MS has some good food for lunch. Kind of pricey but you will not leave hungry.

Natchez is really nice place to visit with some good places to eat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Natchez Trace