Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arkansas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Arkansas?

We were going to Florida this Friday for around a week but the weather looks iffy. We can go anywhere we want but would like somewhere warm. Leaving from Michigan. I did some Google searches and Arkansas gets good reviews for rides, especially the Ozarks. Anyone have some suggestions? We would probably ride 5-600 the first day. Avoiding freeways would be a plus.

Other destinations would be welcome also.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:03 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

a lot of good sites and roads into southern MO and eastern OK as well as lots of stuff here in Arkieland.
https://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/
lot of ride suggests there

this thread covered lot...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...cket-list.html

great riding, and lots to see in the northwest half of the state. Lots of waterfalls this time of year. Some of my favs..
Talimena
blanchard Springs, caves and the area down by the springs
Rush, Buffalo Point, lot of roads around Marshall
Mt View, music around the parks, some of the pickers there are very good
Boxely Valley
tons of other stuff,

The following users liked this post:
Mikes145 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 PM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

125 south in MO to AR and take the Peel Ferry. Go towards MT Home and catch Push Mt towards MT View. We usually stay in Harrison and do day trips. 7 to jasper then 74 east to 123 south. Tight turns and fantastic scenery. My opinion is it’s more challenging than Deals Gap and no traffic! You can take 123 all the way to Clarksville then north to Oark. Grab a burger and pie! You can then go west and ride the Pig Trail back north. Or back by Russellville ride MT Nebo or Petit Jean or MT Magazine. If you have more time head to Mena and ride the Talimena to Talahina, OK. Be sure and stop at Queen Wilamena Lodge. Just know whatever road you ride it’s going to be fun!

Mikes145 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 PM
GachHD2011
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Northwest Arkansas is great

Originally Posted by 107inMO
125 south in MO to AR and take the Peel Ferry. Go towards MT Home and catch Push Mt towards MT View. We usually stay in Harrison and do day trips. 7 to jasper then 74 east to 123 south. Tight turns and fantastic scenery. My opinion is it’s more challenging than Deals Gap and no traffic! You can take 123 all the way to Clarksville then north to Oark. Grab a burger and pie! You can then go west and ride the Pig Trail back north. Or back by Russellville ride MT Nebo or Petit Jean or MT Magazine. If you have more time head to Mena and ride the Talimena to Talahina, OK. Be sure and stop at Queen Wilamena Lodge. Just know whatever road you ride it’s going to be fun!
I would like to echo all this advice! On top of my list would include the trip to Oark General Store. I bike down there from Kansas City twice a year and eat there two days in a row. Great people, Great Burgers, Save room for Homemade Pie! They can get busy on weekends; but the whole point is to not be in a hurry. Have fun and be safe. Another great place is Low Gap Cafe, near Ponca, AR. Fine dining ($$$) but great food and you may make new friends while waiting for a table; open Wed-Sat 11am to 8pm. Both places are truly destination dining (in my opinion). I hope you enjoy this beautiful area; you can be looking over a valley 2,000 feet above the river and 10 minutes later be dipping your toes in that river.

Mikes145 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:27 AM
107inMO
Tourer

One more piece of advice...unless you don’t mind standing behind a tree.....never go pass a restroom!

Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain

Sounds like great advice so far. We plan on leaving this Friday and getting to Arkansas sometime in Saturday. I'm thinking that we can ride Sunday and Monday around the area then head somewhere else.

We've never been to Texas. I see that Texarkana looks like a doable distance. Is it worth it or is another place worth the ride in Texas on our time frame? We're shooting to be back in Michigan on Friday.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Looking for rides or some stops? throw in eureka and Hot springs. Could add a day easy. Tourist stuff in Branson. Lot of natural attractions across southern MO

I wouldn't do Texarkana just to go. TX is great west of Austin and San Antone down to Big bend, but gonna be hot and a long way down there. To me, that's another trip

Lots of little roads across AR and east OK all being curvy scenic

Do know, a couple of construction spots south of Clinton and Harrison on HWY 65. Backroads are more fun anyway

Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain

Yea, we already planned on Eureka and Hot Springs. I was just thinking of exploring different areas since we were down that way. Maybe we'll just stay in that area until we leave on Thursday to head home. I also thought about heading east towards Tennessee but the weather may be a factor. We eventually have to head east and then north or north then east to get back home.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,993 Likes on 1,658 Posts

If you wanted to come to Texas.... I would have done it in April ! ha Getting hot here quick. Hill Country (Twisted (3) Sisters) is always a good place but not sure how much time you're looking at in each place... When I want to ride close, I go to Ark. Sounds like a good trip !

Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM
107inMO
Tourer

If you are heading towards TX, you really should do the Talimena. If you have never been there, no one would believe the Mountains, road and scenery in Oklahoma!
In Talihina, OK be sure and eat at Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner!

Quick Reply: Arkansas?