Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Do you prefer group or individual riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM
efaubert1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I tend to lean toward a smaller group of known riders for a group, maybe 5-6 tops. But I do like the peace of a nice me, The Road, and God's great creation ride.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:19 PM
BarleyW83
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who is relatively new to riding, and with nearly no one I know that also rides, I always go solo. I do love the freedom of going where and how I please. However, it seems to me that there could be a lot of fun to be had riding with a few others that are similar in disposition (pace, aggressiveness, etc.) I haven't had the chance to really ride with many others, but I'd love to find some more seasoned riders that I could tag along with to learn from and observe. Oh well, out the door I go, and down the road I ride!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

I use to enjoy riding in large groups until witnessing several accidents by idiots and unexperienced riders. Now I mostly ride alone except for a weekly dinner ride of 10 bikes or less of 50 year riding veterans. Several are in their 70's!

Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 PM
EggDropX
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ride with a small tight group of riders that know what they are doing and prescribe to a laid back mindset. It’s a lot of fun to cruise across the country with your close friends.
I don’t ride with people I don’t know well.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I ride alone or with my daughter on the back 99% of the time. There is a guy that does a group ride about one time a summer and it's fun. Definitely safer as far as being seen or heard.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Include friends with family. This is why I prefer to stay out of groups of unknowns, [Skip to 3:50 ish for the abridged version] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0IrS7jkew
WOW! That's the first mishap I've seen at Rolling Thunder. Great video. Looks like the guy was waving at someone and wasn't paying attention to the rider in front of him braking. Before I do any waving, I make sure there isn't someone close to me. Bet he got some road rash.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I prefer solo but enjoy the company of another bike or two on the long rides once in a while.
Even with good company though it can get to be a PITA though with different interests, unexpected separations alone the route, unscheduled stops.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

BOTH...........
I spend a great deal of time, just riding solo... but I still ride with SELECT others, on a regular basis.
"Group" riding has gotten a bad rap, mostly due to "charity rides, poker rides and the such. 20-50-100-1000 riders, none of whom know each other, or their skills.
Between the LARGE runs... and various "riding clubs/groups" folks get the wrong idea.

Give me the handful of riders that come out on a regular basis, who know each other, enjoy each other's company, and you can have a pleasant day.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
We have a bigger toy run here in Chicago - about 5 to 10 times larger. We do not have the crazy crap that you say happens at your ride. They have it controlled and if some moron gets out of line, one of the road guards will take care of him.
I like both group and solo rides. There's fun with both. It's great to share a great trip with a friend or 2. Exciting out on your own.

Years ago there was a midnight ride through Chicago. I really enjoyed it and did it every year for 15 years. Every time I asked someone if they were going, they'd say, no way not with all those idiots fooling around. I always said - why do you let other riders decide on what you want to do? I'm not crazy about those riders either, but I just stay in my lane and enjoy the ride but keep my eyes on the morons and stay away from them. I've always had a great time on those rides. I don't let others dictate what I can or cannot do. If you have confidence in your riding skills, it shouldn't matter what the other morons do.
Biggest group ride I've been on was Rolling Thunder in D.C. 500,000 give or take a few thousand = no major problems. Same each year.

The secret to good group rides is CONTROL. No control and it's mayham.

I used to go on that spring run, and on the toy run when it used to start at Munch choppers. That was a while ago, what -- 1980s?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:10 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

I havent read all the replies here, but, I like both. Riding in groups is NORMALLY safer-but, since this riding season alone, I know 4 people (one was a passenger) seriously injured while riding in a group.
In all 3 instances, the driver didnt notice the riders.
And the smallest group was 15 bikes....

Quick Reply: Do you prefer group or individual riding?