Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Packing for a motorcycle trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Riding gear
Quart of oil
Throw away/thrift store clothes
and this:

Everything else will fall into place.

The following 3 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
BigDogIdaho (04-21-2019), dDavid (05-19-2019), Heritage98 (04-18-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank
You went about this the wrong way. I handed my lady one saddlebag liner bag and one small nylon bag and told her this yours to fill how you like (this doesn't include jacket, chaps and rain gear) and if you do not like you can stay home and I will go solo. She didn't get mad because she wanted to go and it worked out good because we are getting married soon and when we go on the bike now she knows what to expect so there are no arguments on what she can bring. If it fits in the bag you can take it and if you want to buy "stuff" on the trip you better make sure those bags you have will fit it.

you are lucky she didn't fill them with bricks

Last edited by rnl_1200C; 02-28-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:18 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
Originally Posted by Redbank
you are lucky she didn't fill them with bricks
Or say "No problem, You can just buy a new outfit every day"

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

I travel as light as possible. If I need something on the road that I didn't bring there's a Walmart in every town.
Usually I take just the essentials, spare clothes and toiletries. Season dictates outerwear.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

The first trip she went on with me we had this nifty hitch box, I learned pretty quickly that saying you can't bring this or that and only one extra pair of shoes, no hair stuff blah blah wasn't going to work if I wanted her to travel, So I went out and bought this little trailer. Now the packing is easy, she says can I bring??? the answer is yes, just toss it in there.. No more fights before our trips and she can buy whatever she wants while we are out and about.

The following users liked this post:
endscuoio (03-04-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:18 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

After 6 long trips I've developed a system which works for me. I take T-shirt, undies and socks and roll them up and place the roll into a Wally World plastic bag. I take 7 to 10 rolled up outfits depending on the trip. At the end of the day I roll up the dirty clothes place them in a Wally World bag with a rubber band around the roll. The clothing rolls are stored in my right side saddlebag in a HD luggage saddlebag insert. I'll try and do laundry on the trip on the 5 or 6 th day if possible so pack Tide pods and quarters. In my other saddlebag I carry a complete tool roll, air compressor with tire repair kit, can of slim, battery jumper battery kit, tape, zip ties, tie downs, wire and ends, a siphon hose all stored in another HD saddlebag soft luggage insert. On top of my tools bag on the left side is where I store my rain suit. I don't take either of the saddlebag luggages out of the bike at night. Behind my solo seat I have a fender bib to protect the rear fender paint. I carry a Saddleman luggage in the passenger area of my Road Glide which is held in place by Drings and snaps. I carry my meds, Woodford, iPad, extra jeans, cigars, lounge wear/swim trunks, toiletries bag in the Saddleman bag which goes in overnight. In my rear storage trunk I carry manual, atlas, shop towels with cleaners, bike cover, jackets, sun screen, sun glasses and weapon while riding. I also have saddlebag bar bags on both side. The right side I keep a thermos with coffee or ice water. The left side bag I keep a first aid kit.
I have a HD bag which is made for the luggage rack but I only use it for trips two weeks or longer. I cover my bike every night which keeps the dew and hands off the bike. I set the alarm and use a HD pager which alters me if there is motion on the bike. Here is a photo from Mt. Washington last July while riding from Kentucky to Canada.

Last edited by paid4c4; 02-28-2019 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by paid4c4:
BigDogIdaho (04-21-2019), endscuoio (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
Or say "No problem, You can just buy a new outfit every day"
LOL this might get really expensive real quick

Originally Posted by show-n-go
The first trip she went on with me we had this nifty hitch box, I learned pretty quickly that saying you can't bring this or that and only one extra pair of shoes, no hair stuff blah blah wasn't going to work if I wanted her to travel, So I went out and bought this little trailer. Now the packing is easy, she says can I bring??? the answer is yes, just toss it in there.. No more fights before our trips and she can buy whatever she wants while we are out and about.

I have always wondered how this changes the motorcycle dynamics. Unfortunately i have never had the chance to try a bike with them on. How is it? Super curious about it.

Originally Posted by paid4c4
After 6 long trips I've developed a system which works for me. I take T-shirt, undies and socks and roll them up and place the roll into a Wally World plastic bag. I take 7 to 10 rolled up outfits depending on the trip. At the end of the day I roll up the dirty clothes place them in a Wally World bag with a rubber band around the roll. The clothing rolls are stored in my right side saddlebag in a HD luggage saddlebag insert. I'll try and do laundry on the trip on the 5 or 6 th day if possible so pack Tide pods and quarters. In my other saddlebag I carry a complete tool roll, air compressor with tire repair kit, can of slim, battery jumper battery kit, tape, zip ties, tie downs, wire and ends, a siphon hose all stored in another HD saddlebag soft luggage insert. On top of my tools bag on the left side is where I store my rain suit. I don't take either of the saddlebag luggages out of the bike at night. Behind my solo seat I have a fender bib to protect the rear fender paint. I carry a Saddleman luggage in the passenger area of my Road Glide which is held in place by Drings and snaps. I carry my meds, Woodford, iPad, extra jeans, cigars, lounge wear/swim trunks, toiletries bag in the Saddleman bag which goes in overnight. In my rear storage trunk I carry manual, atlas, shop towels with cleaners, bike cover, jackets, sun screen, sun glasses and weapon while riding. I also have saddlebag bar bags on both side. The right side I keep a thermos with coffee or ice water. The left side bag I keep a first aid kit.
I have a HD bag which is made for the luggage rack but I only use it for trips two weeks or longer. I cover my bike every night which keeps the dew and hands off the bike. I set the alarm and use a HD pager which alters me if there is motion on the bike. Here is a photo from Mt. Washington last July while riding from Kentucky to Canada.

Rolling up clothes is a new thing for me. I have tried last week while visiting Madrid. I must say that it helped me save a lot of space. I will definitely going to roll up all my clothes, instead of just folding them, next time i am on a motorcycle trip.
The battery jump starter is a new thing i bought right after i come back from Nordkapp (battery died in the middle of nowhere. Definitely learned the hard way that is always best to carry a jump starter )

Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,776 Likes on 1,443 Posts

I taken a few trips so I have a master list that I made up, I then determine based on the trip what from the list I need to take.

I camp so 2 things that are an absolute necessity for me are my camp stove for instant coffee, oatmeal etc, my sleeping pad and a darn good tent.

2 other things I always carry are good rain gear and my battery pack for charging phones or jump starting a bike. Oh I forgot also my tool kit.

All of the other things like how many shirts, socks etc is a personal choice. Good luck.

One other thing, everything I carry goes in a Dry Sack (Sea To Summit), or has a rain cover.

Just thinking about this gets me pumped for this years trip.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 03-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
endscuoio (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,569 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by show-n-go

I have a tow-behind cargo trailer but that hitch box looks cool!
If I may ask, who makes it and are they still available?
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2019, 02:39 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
I taken a few trips so I have a master list that I made up, I then determine based on the trip what from the list I need to take.

I camp so 2 things that are an absolute necessity for me are my camp stove for instant coffee, oatmeal etc, my sleeping pad and a darn good tent.

2 other things I always carry are good rain gear and my battery pack for charging phones or jump starting a bike. Oh I forgot also my tool kit.

All of the other things like how many shirts, socks etc is a personal choice. Good luck.

One other thing, everything I carry goes in a Dry Sack (Sea To Summit), or has a rain cover.

Just thinking about this gets me pumped for this years trip.
Where are you planning on going?
This year for me will be nothing fancy, i gotta graduate and i have no spare time to go on trips

Quick Reply: Packing for a motorcycle trip