Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Dragon Tail

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dragon Tail

Tail of the Dragon at DEALS GAP, N.C. – With its 318 in 11 miles is America’s number one motorcycle road. US-129 is bordered by the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest with no intersecting roads. It is considered “the destination” for thousands of motorcycle enthisiasts from allover the world. Throughout spring, summer, and fall is possible to see several hundreds of riders sharing stories and their recent experience around US-129.

Tail of the Dragon

Riding the Tail of the Dragon isn’t especially daunting. However it requires deep focusing, there is no time to look at the sightings. Let’s dig into what’s really appealing about this road.

Although I previously stated that US-129 is no panoramic road, one of the best thing about it are the feelings North Carolina Nantahala National Forest and Tennessee Great Smoky Mountains National Park are capable to deliver. Is possible to experience mountainside wilderness, rock walls or hills on one side of the road, and a sheer drop on the other. The thick hardwood forests that run alongside the asphalt make you realize what the Tail of the Dragon really is: a motor arena curved right out of nature.

This road is no mountain-climbing switchback; its turns, some close to 300-degree pivots, are on a largely flat course with no bumps or asphalt damages. Remarcable is the total absence of interseptions and driveways which definitely add to safety as well as natural beauty.

So far the Tail of the Dragon looks like a place where enthusiasts can enjoying their hobby safely. But, is it?

Danger zone

“Right into the danger zone” Kenny Loggins words rapidly became mine when I started watching videos of the place.
Let’s be clear: by all means, the Tail of the Dragon is a place for everyone but it requires brain.
Statistics are more than clear about how forgiving this road is: 1 death per year on the Tail of the Dragon.

I am an experienced rider with a lot of miles of experience and a couple of important road trips in my saddlebags. Therefore, before any new ride, I usually get all prepped up looking at maps, weather, and pics and videos. Here’s the results of my research that were confirmed by my experience at the Dragon:

Although the posted speed-limit is 30mph and US-129 is a double-lined No Passing road, a lot of passing happen. Thing is that everyone has his own pace, which is totally fine, make sure to always choose the right moment to overtake someone and keep an eye on your mirros.

A lot of curves are banked and in certain areas the road looks like a roller coaster which, in some cases, took custom riders by surprise: custom motorcycles clearence does not allow bikers to lean as much as sport bikes so, when pushing too hard, the chances to ends up with your butt on the ground are very high.

This road is open throughout the year so all that amazing nature is a blessing during hot summer days. During all other seasons the story is a bit different…Shade areas can be very slippery. I saw no litter on the Dragon’s slim shoulders, just occasional clumps of yellow-bloom wildflowers. This is something you want to consider if you are planning of riding the Tail of the Dragon in autumn.

Museum

The Dragon is not only about the challenge of handling curves you do not see everyday. Is also about passion, brotherhood and freedom. All values that pushed Dale Walksler, a Harley dealer from Illinois, to move his extensive collection of historic motorcycles to Maggie Valley in 2000 to open a 38,000-square-foot museum that now showcases more than 300 historic American bikes. His Wheels Through Time is in the so rich that he has loaned choice items for display at the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee.
It is definitely a place worth visiting.

In conclusion, is the Tail of the Dragon really worth going? Definitely yes! It is similar to a lot of mountain roads and yet so different. I loved every curve, every inch of its asphalt and every bit of conversation entertained with fellow bikers upthere.

Anyone of you guys went? I am sure a couple of you did! DO you guys have videos of your selves? When i went i had no money for a go-pro or similar action cam.

The following 2 users liked this post by endscuoio:
CrBear (09-09-2019), kel03 (09-20-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Went on a rainy cold October weekday morning. Its a good ride but not my favorite. Cherahola Skyway is close by and just as good if not better as it has really big sweeping curves. I may have liked it more if the weather and temp was better when I rode it. Video of my ride in my signature. I was wearing some thick Goretex boots so shifting was not as easy with normal footwear, so I stayed in 2nd most of the ride. My favorite US road for a motorcycle though is Bear Tooth Pass in southwest Montana just north of Yellowstone.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Wife and I went 4/18/18 it was 82° that day. It was the first time she or I had ever ridden this type of road. On one of the switchbacks we were passed by a sport bike doing about 90 mph. As you can see from my signature I ride a touring bike.
Fortunately it worked out for all of us.

We we had a great ride and a great day.

Do it safely.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:36 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

first of all.... I would not refer to the Dragon as "Flat" with several hundreds of feet of elevation change
Dangerous?? nor particularly ..it is a public highway. If one rides well and within their abilities, there is no problem. However, there is little margin for error, and with traffic in both directions, one learns to stay within their own lane.
I avoid going there on the week end because there is too much traffic...
There are plenty of other great roads in the area here is a common source of local routes https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/

If you ride the Italian Alps, you will enjoy this area....but remember everyone on the dragon might not have your skills, and could do something unexpected

Old 02-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 891 Likes on 534 Posts

Nice ride but way over rated. By the time you get there you're ready for it. Moonshiner 28 is a better ride in my opinion. And those roads don't compare to the roads out west....

The following 4 users liked this post by Hammerhead Pat:
2wheelwanderer (04-21-2019), FNGonaRK (03-22-2019), Greezey Rider (03-27-2019), nibroc (09-09-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:44 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have ridden the dragon a few times, I will ride it again, but I too like the moonshiners highway a little more.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:19 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,594 Likes on 5,167 Posts

Ride it a few times you will understand why the parts are on the tree. It is not most exciting but one many should do. We will ride it both ways every time we are in the area . Best done during the week. Let the hot rods go by and do their thing . Leave the road rage at home.
Riding it with the sidecar rig in may for no other reason than we want to.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Been there a few times and tail is good but Moon Shiner is a better ride.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:10 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Been there, done that. Too dangerous for an old man like me. Leave it to the kids with red hair on sportbikes.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:52 AM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The Dragon is a great ride and part of a great series of rides in Southern Appalachia. It is great b/c of the the very reason this thread exists. It illicits emotion, gets us to comment and draws us to the area. Is it the best? ...hell I don’t know nor do I care. It’s fun and by going there, I get to discover a LOT of great roads in the area.

Isnt that hat why we get on our bikes in the first place?

Quick Reply: Dragon Tail