Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mt. Washington

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:03 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Default Mt. Washington

I'm in the "thinking" stage of a trip to Nova Scotia that may also involve PEI and possibly Newfound Land this summer.

Looking at the map, I realize that while I have once been to New Hampshire I have not been to Mt. Washington.
I have some friends who may be interested in riding along with me to N.H. so I was hoping that there may be someone that can advise me as to the "must do" things and places to stay and eat.

In addition to the scenery, I want to take the Cog Railroad ride to the summit and there's an interesting boat tour I read about but there website won't be updated for this season for a couple of weeks.

Any and all suggestions and tips appreciated!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:25 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

We’ve ridden up Mt Washington few times over the years. Stayed in the Conway, NH area. Lots of local places around for food.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

That's a hit or miss two times could not go because of fog. Hope you get to go.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 AM
16Bullitt
Grand HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm planning a trip to the Mt. Washington area in late May. Any idea of the weather conditions usually at that time?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

Just a little colder than NY in May

Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have been up Mt Washington several times in a cage, two wheels and the Cog Railway. Weather is a big issue. If it is not fairly clear it may be a bust since the view is incredible. If foggy don`t bother. Warm at bottom and can be cold at the top. Road goes to dirt on way up and gets narrow in places. Go slow and pay attention. Last time I went up a guy was waiting for a flatbed to come and get his Electra Glide. He had broken his ankle riding up the mountain. A friend of mine went off in a ditch coming down one time. My wife and I went up the Cog Railroad during our honeymoon when the locomotives were steamed power. Sketchy at best! Now diesel I think. If you go put the sticker they give you in a good place others will see!

Old 03-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,997 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
That's a hit or miss two times could not go because of fog. Hope you get to go.
Pretty much this ^^^^--Late May is probably ok-----you might get nice warm days in early May, but 75 at the bottom is usually 38 at the top---it is a beautiful view on a clear day --the ride isn,t bad up or down just keep your distance from people in front of you ----If youre down at the base and you can,t see the top because of fog--we don,t go up.waste of time------Stay in North Conway area lots of motels ,shopping, restaurants and great riding----if you can fit into your itinerary put at least 2 days on for this area---sounds like an exciting trip

Old 03-08-2019, 05:31 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'd definitely want to ride to the top as well as taking the rail...just to say I did it!

Thanks for the info!

The following users liked this post:
Rocker NH (03-08-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 PM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ve been up Mt Washington about a dozen times. Late May can be questionable because of ice. Skiing Tuckerman Ravine is a time honored tradition on Memorial Day Weekend. As said before, if you can’t see the top don’t bother. Also, it’s not unusual for the wind to be 40 mph plus on top, so check for that even if clear. As far a going up on the cog, bare in mind the start for the auto road and the start for the cog are on opposite sides of the mountain and are an hour and half drive from each other.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:09 AM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Bean many times. View is awesome if it's a clear day, try to have a couple of different days for options to go up. Just don't get in a hurry, stay in lower gear going up and down. Be sure you ride the Kank while you're in the area. Still a little cool that time of year for a dip in the water, but there is a great pull off to jump in!

Quick Reply: Mt. Washington