Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida to yellowstone approved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts
Default Florida to yellowstone approved!!!

Olwhatshername got time off approval for our trip to Yellowstone in September!
YEEHAW!!!!
And to celebrate she is buying us a bike/helmet cam! Now to figure out which one....

Old 03-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,994 Likes on 1,844 Posts

i just received the Hero 7 as a gift---have,nt used it yet but can,t wait to give it a try

Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

I'll be making the same trip this August... Ride safe.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:22 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,873 Likes on 7,720 Posts

We are planning a trip there around that time.
What part of Florida are you out of?

Old 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,394 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Pack warm. Last time I made that trip was a Labor day weekend. Got up Sat morning in Cooke City and it was 28 degrees. It was about noon before it made it over 40...

Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Pack warm. Last time I made that trip was a Labor day weekend. Got up Sat morning in Cooke City and it was 28 degrees. It was about noon before it made it over 40...
Yep, been there twice in September and weather has been from low 30's up into 70's. You're gonna love it out there. Start making your reservations NOW!!!

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 03-12-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Largo, Tampa Bay area.

I've been to Sturgis a couple times but not as far west as Yellowstone. Looking forward to it!!
Due to time constraints I'm thinking of shipping the bike out to Rapid City, flying in, riding for 10 days then shipping it back. Looked at renting but that was cost prohibitive. Riding the bike or trailer adds 3-4 days at each end depending on route and where I might stop.
The plan is to get there the Friday of Labor day weekend, stay in Deadwood maybe and ride Badlands, Rushmore, Black hills area till the Tuesday after Labor Day.
Tuesday we'd head to west. She wants to see/stay in Cody, Red Lodge, West Yellow Stone and Jackson Hole at the least.
We generally travel this time of year knowing hotels are scare up to the day after labor Day then a bit easier to find.

I need to start paying attention to cams now. Thank for the GOPRO 7 link, looking forward to hearing how it worked out.
Got a nice warm textile adventure jacket and a modular helmet for xmas. Both looking towards this trip.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Beartooth pass if its open

Old 03-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skyflyer
Beartooth pass if its open
That's #1 on my list of places to ride. heck if I knew it was going to be closed I'd cancel the trip!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm partial to GoPros mainly because that's what I started out with and they've worked well for me. I have two, the Hero 3+ Black and the Hero 6 Black. The 6 has a lot more features and is higher resolution, but for a lot of the stuff and resolutions I use, my 3+ does about as good, and I also like the way my 3+ does audio better. Wind noise is a problem with both if you don't use a separate mic. The set up on the 3+ for an external mic is easier and cheaper. The 6 requires a clunky adapter that I have to tape down to my helmet for external mics. The 6 handles image stability a lot better so it can smooth out the video so it doesn't look like you're travelling down a bumpy road all the time. Both take pretty good still pics, but I also use my iPhone for those too.

Beartooth is my favorite ride I've taken.

I took a time delay series of pics with my GoPro 3+ one way over and when I came back over I took video with the 3+. This was before I had the 6. I am not sure if I had my mic hooked up. I also accidentally had the angle off on one of these. Think both were taken in September of 2017.

Quick Reply: Florida to yellowstone approved!!!