Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Big Loop

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 04:35 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default The Big Loop

From June 4 to mid July or so, a buddy and I are doing the Big Loop, counter clockwise. Starting in the Bay Area (California), through southern Arizona (Tuscon), New Mexico (Las Cruces), Texas (Three Sisters) Austin, Louisiana (New Orleans), Natchez-Trace through Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee (Tail of the Dragon and other roads in the area), Blue Ridge Parkway through North Carolina/ West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan (Great Lakes), Wisconsin, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, ending in Tahoe.

We've got as much time as we want to take (though we are shooting for less than 6 weeks. We are only tent camping, as we usually do on our cross country rides. We are riding 30 or so of the top 50 best motorcycle roads in the country.

Of course, folks are welcome to join in any or all, just let me know.

Getting to the point:
So I have about 8500 miles on this ride. I just put on new tires. I am planning on doing an oil&filter/primary/transmission fluid change right before the ride. I always do all of my own maintenance. I'm planning on doing an oil/filter change in the middle of the ride as the trans ans primary should both be fine. Truth be told, probably the oil would be fine too (since I use synthetic), but I just can't get myself to wait over 5000 miles to change the oil.

The Question:
Anyone done their oil change by themselves on the road (and have some tips/suggestions)? I mean, literally next to the road, at a campsite.

I was going to bring my own filter (K&N with the easy-to-take-off nut on it) and o-rings with me (along with my tools, of course). I was going to get the oil at a stop along the way, right before I do the work (the one quart I always carry won't be used unless emergency, which its for). I only have what I carry, so limited stuff. I was thinking of collecting oil in a plastic trash bag (fiend's help holding) and then transfer contents into the empty oil bottles to be recycled - I really don't dump my oil.

Or should I just bite the bullet and pay a dealer (heaven forbid)?

If you have any thoughts or suggestions about the ride, please feel free to add that too. Thanks!

Ride Safe!

Old 03-30-2019, 05:20 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,385 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I'd pay someone to do it while on the road. Maybe plan ahead, find an indy in the area you'll be in when the oil change will be needed....or maybe someone on here will hook you up with a place to do it, that's not on the side of the road.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:44 PM
iron mule
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are in the south part of ms when it comes due to change give me a shout and you can use my shop
I have the tools you need and the oil if you want to use amsoil 20-50
price for the oil will be same as I pay about 8.50 a quart no charge for the shop
I am not a motorcycle dealer this is my personal shop at the house
let me know if you think this will work if so we can exchange info
mule

The following 5 users liked this post by iron mule:
AtticusFinch (04-10-2019), BelchFire (04-09-2019), Harley-Jim (03-31-2019), SprungDave (03-31-2019), Vernal (03-31-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

I have got my oil changed at a dealership for like $79. Engine oil only. Once in VA and once in WY. In VA they use to do it for $59 for regular oil not synthetic. This was like five/six years ago.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Wow,sounds like a great ride! You just might enjoy the rest if you let someone do it for you not to mention the hassle of doing it on the side of the road. Have fun and be safe!

Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,344 Likes on 1,915 Posts

I haven’t had to do one in the middle of a trip. Others have told about doing an oil change in Walmart parking lots near the service area. Buy and recycle the oil right there, buy a throw away foil baking pan to catch the oil.

Anyway sounds like like a great trip!

The following users liked this post:
SprungDave (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:00 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,752 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I've done a motor oil/filter change in a campground. (Cabbage Patch in Samsula, Florida during bikeweek. I wasn't living down here in Florida back then). I lined a cardboard box with a trash bag to catch the oil. Closed it up with a twist-tie and threw it along with the old filter and empty oil bottles in the closest dumpster. I also carry a spare quart on a road trip but wouldn't bother carrying the oil and filter for a change en route when it's so easy to just pick'em up when needed.
As to your upcoming ride: That is the BIG one for sure. Enjoy it..!!
How old are the batteries in both bikes..?? Do you carry a "jumper" for that morning when you crawl out of the tent and the battery on one of the bikes is dead..??
I don't leave home without one anymore.
Good Luck, and ride'em safe.

SprungDave (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 08:52 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Did a 6k mile trip a few years ago and needed an oil change. Pulled into The Rock Harley Davidson in Sudbury, Ontario at closing time. Service manager was the only one left and he opened the bay doors, invited me in, provided the tools and let me do the oil change there. I thought, "Fat chance of this ever happening back home in Atlanta." On another long trip (7500 miles that began with a 50cc from Jax to San Diego) I needed an oil change in San Diego. I paid a dealership to do it and asked them if I could use a hose to clean off the mud (thunderstorms just west of Tuscon followed by blinding dust storm that really left the bike almost unrecognizable). Their response was "no, that would violate EPA regulations." Sounded like an excuse to me. On yet another 6k mile trip needed an oil change and stopped in at Copper Canyon Harley in Butte, Montana. They took me right in and as I was paying I noticed a sign saying Oil Change special - Oil and filter plus labor $49.99. I said, so do I get this special price and the service guy said what special? This one, as I pointed to the sign. He said that had ended 2 months ago, but since they didn't take the sign down I could have that price.

I know, no help for changing oil while camping, but there are some cheap alternatives to doing it on the side of the road. Personally, I like the Walmart suggestion offered by Vernal in an earlier post, and plan on doing that my next trip.

Last edited by ramblin5; 03-31-2019 at 08:53 AM.
SprungDave (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 AM
Harley-Jim
Road Captain
Received 438 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by iron mule
if you are in the south part of ms when it comes due to change give me a shout and you can use my shop
I have the tools you need and the oil if you want to use amsoil 20-50
price for the oil will be same as I pay about 8.50 a quart no charge for the shop
I am not a motorcycle dealer this is my personal shop at the house
let me know if you think this will work if so we can exchange info
mule
Mighty generous of you Mule.

The following 2 users liked this post by Harley-Jim:
BelchFire (04-09-2019), iron mule (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 09:36 AM
iron mule
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Harley-Jim
thanks
way I look at things it never hurts to offer help to some one
kinda makes life easier at times
mule

The following 4 users liked this post by iron mule:
AtticusFinch (04-10-2019), BelchFire (04-09-2019), Harley-Jim (03-31-2019), Papa G (04-10-2019)

Quick Reply: The Big Loop