Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

whiskey tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:35 PM
gosserwb
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default whiskey tour

Anybody do the whiskey tour in Kentucky . How long did it take you? What distilleries did you go to? Anything that stood out around the area that was a had to see or do. Looking to do the tour around June leaving from Milwaukee WI.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 899 Likes on 511 Posts

Never done the whiskey tour but rode through there this summer. We stopped at Old Forrester which I believe is the oldest KY bourbon distiller. The tour was great and I would recommend stopping there on your ride. Ride safe.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,985 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Some of those who do a wine tour of the Napa Valley rent a van with a driver. That way they are able to sample wines at a number of wineries. Are the distilleries in KY close enough to make that feasible?

Old 01-05-2020, 07:56 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Never heard of the whiskey tour.... but we did tour the Jack Daniels distillery couple years ago. The one thing that stuck in my mind was the explanation of how to "taste" whiskey. It was a good tour and I recommend it. Now I was given a bottle of Old Forrester from a buddy at retirement.... that is one I'd like to visit! Guess I'll have to investigate on this tour thing.... Let us know how it goes!!!

Old 01-05-2020, 08:16 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Didn't do the tour. Stopped at Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, KY. Home of Pappy Van Winkle, Blanton's, Wellers(favorite) and other bourbons.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,060 Likes on 2,628 Posts

You are talking about the Bourbon Trail, call it Whiskey in Kentucky and people will be very unhappy with you, just sayin'.

We went down that way about 7 years ago, Jim Beam was our only stop, the place was under construction, didn't get to see too much, but I did get my picture taken in a rocking chair next to the statue of Booker.

We passed Maker's Mark on our way there, we were coming from Nashville that day. We passed the Corvette Hall of Fame, would recommend a stop there if into that sort of thing.

Good roads and they let you taste the goods. But I would still give Jack Daniel's Tour the thumbs up if I was in the area. I do not know what JB is up to since the construction for the Visitor's Center has been completed. Overall, nice part of the world to go riding and tasting.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:43 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

I was with a large group that stayed in Bardstown this past year. Touring one or more distilleries was very popular with most folks but really wasn't on my "must do" list. But a number of guys were getting ready to ride to the Maker's Mark distillery for a tour and since I had no other plans I went with them. So glad I went. Very interesting. Seems like various members of our group all toured at least one or two distilleries and the overall consensus was that the Maker's Mark tour was the best.

Lots of info on the Internet regarding distillery tours on the "Bourbon Trail" as they call it. We stayed at the Best Western SureStay motel which, until BW bought it, was the General Nelson Inn. Very good, reasonable, and the motel location is great because there are shops for the ladies, couple of good restaurants/bars within walking distance and almost next door is a gas & convenience store for cold beer & snacks. And RIGHT next door to the motel is a buffet only restaurant. I wouldn't go there again for lunch or dinner but their breakfast buffet is super!

From the motel I mentioned the distilleries are spread out. Some are pretty close but none of them are too far away. I think the Maker's Mark tour was $12 but the Internet info will give you all the details, locations, directions, etc.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,484 Likes on 1,217 Posts

I did Blanton's this time and plan to do several the next time I am in the area. I do need to plan a route to get the most out of it.
Here is the link to the website. They have suggested schedules and routes as well as a great description of the many Bourbon distillers. i enjoyed it and even was able to get my wife into bourbon. I picked up a bottle of 1792 from Blanton.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

I have not done the Bourbon Trail, but did tour Jack Daniels, Corvette Museum and Makers Mark on a ride a few years ago. I would like to go back and tour the Corvette Assembly Plant. It was November and Makers Mark was decorated for Christmas. It was beautiful, but it is probably beautiful any time of the year. JD tour was good as well.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:42 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bourbon Trail

If you start early, didn't do any distillery tours and stayed with the program you used to be able to do the Bourbon Trail in one day. They've since added another distillery and not sure you could do it now. You should figure at least two days and take a couple tours. The tours are pretty cool and in the last few years most of the distilleries have upgraded their Welcome Centers etc. My favorites are Makers Mark, Wild Turkey and Jim Beam. The riding between the distilleries is great as well. Curvy two lane roads through beautiful country.. Pick up a free passport at the first distillery you go to, get them stamped at each distillery and mail them in to get a free Bourbon Trail t-shirt. Each distillery has free samples as well and you'll find brands of bourbon you never heard of.

Staying along the Bourbon Trail or a good place to start or finish is Bardstown, Kentucky. Voted the most beautiful small town in America and in the heart of Bourbon Country. There are some pretty cool restaurants and stuff their as well.

Depending on how much time you have they've also added a craft Bourbon Trail of smaller distilleries. Bourbon is big in Louisville and they have a section of downtown called Whiskey Row and they have an Urban Bourbon Trail around Louisville, more of a walking tour. They have some pretty cool distilleries in downtown Louisville like Rabbit Hole and Old Forrester among others. You can get a passport at the Visitors Center and get an Urban Bourbon Trail t-shirt too! The Louisville Slugger Museum and factory is downtown also and is very cool!

The following users liked this post:
KYRGultra (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: whiskey tour