Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Black Hills info

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Black Hills info

Planning a trip from Southeast Michigan, riding out to the Black Hills and possibly on to yellowstone. Wife will be riding her own, and has done 550 miles in a day with no problems.

What I am looking for, are must see things along the route or at the destinations. I know we want to see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and spearfish along with Needles hgwy. What else shoud we make sure to see while in the black hills?

Route going out will be around the south end of Chicago, and on to Rapid City, coming back will be thru northern Minnesota and Wisconson and the Upper Pennsula of Michigan

Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 AM
WB9PRG
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Hills info

LEE,
I will be going from milwaukee to rapid city leaving august 1 2008.
The first day of travel, I was going to stop at the winona harley (exit 252), Timms Trikes (exit 233), and Rochester Harley (exit 229), and stay the night at a hotel in rochester, mn..
The second day I will go to the Spam museum exit (178b), the Albert lea harley (exit 157), The blue earth "Giant" (exit 119), and stay the night in mitchell sd.
In mitchell I will see the Corn palace, the Model car museum, and the Prehistoric village.
The third day I will go to Scenic overlook (exit 264), the auto museum (exit 192), the scenic overlook (exit 138), Wall drug (exit 110), and then set up my tent at Moonies hog farm (exit 46) piedmont, sd..
My wife and I travel about 300 miles per day, and spend time in museums, caves, and restaurants along our route.
Thanks,
Gene

Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

The wife and i rode out there from Toronto last year...had a great time. My suggestion would be to head to Hot Springs(a little south of Rapid City) take 89 up thru Custer to Crazy Horse Mon, then over to Mount Rushmore. From there head north towards Deadwood on 385....ride around Deadwood it is a nice town. Come back out the same way you came in and head toward Lead...you will pick up 14a spearfish canyon road. Don't worry about missing Sturgis...it's not much to see.
Jump onto 90 and head towards the Montana Border. Just before the Border take 14/14a towards Poweell and Cody...this will take you thru the Bighorn Mountains. You can stay in Cody for 2 nights an do the Beartooth Pass. This is a must ride...come out of Cody take 296 and turn right on 212 onto the Bear Tooth Pass headeing towards Red Lodge.
Next day head west towards Yellowstone and then out the South (89) entrance towards Jackson...this will put you thru the Grand Tetons....

If you had time i would suggest heading south to Utah and Bryce Canyon and Escalante....then to roads in Colorado(the most beautiful State to ride in) then home. If you need some great roads in Utah and Colorado let me know.

Life is Great....We all Ride!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/633343A7B08247D7BFD58C4D8EE28EF1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. I only have 13 days, and I know the wife won't want to ride full out every day. But now I have some things to look at in the planning of the trip.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM
DB10881
Cruiser

Deadwood, Devils Tower...the badlands...iron mountain road....you can spend days riding the Black Hills and never tire of the scenery.... oh yeh, if you are there during bike week check out "no panty Wednesday", ask around, you'll find the location, stop in, have lunch and a cold beverage and people watch, its a great time.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With 13 days coming from Michigan I would recommend not going beyond the Black Hills area. The Black Hills are a destination and not just a stopping off point. Waaaay to much to see and do in this area to just stop for a couple days. And, I see you are taking the scenic route back home, which will take some extra time as well with all there is to see along that route.

You didn't mention if you are going during bike week or not, but either way, a ride through Sturgis is a must even if just to be able to say you were there.

Spend a day in Deadwood - Saloon #10, Wild Bill's gravesite is way cool (just trust me on that one,) all the historic hotels and bars, the museum with the actual Wild Bill poker hand (aces & eights.) Ride Spearfish Canyon road, Custer State Park wildlife loop, Badlands loop, down to Hot Springs for the mammoth site and the old time hot springs indoor pool, visit Hill City & Keystone, take hwy 385 through the heart of the hills(gorgeous) and stop at Lake Pactola. Of course, visitMount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devils Tower.

Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM
jaystone
Road Captain

Take your time and see as much as you can in one area, don't rush. There will always be other years when you can go right through SD and head over to Yellowstone, Glacier Park, etc. Have fun!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A nice place to stay is Hillside Country Cabins, Their not the Ritz but they are not that expensive and its located on 16 north of Mount Rushmore and central to a lot of the riding in the area. One thing for sure is once there you will not be bored with any of the riding out there.

Jaystone where was your sig pict taken, looks like a place I want to visit.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
propane_peddler
Tourer

If you are taking I80 west from Chicago, I would suggest taking Hwy 44 across S.D.Its great way to go accross the entire state. Very little traffic, and very scenic in places. Missouri river valley is nice, with camping, a little west of Winner you start seeing the south edge of the Badlands.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you have seen Crazy Horse in the last 10-15 years, it looks the same don't waste your time. Spearfish canyon is my favorite out there, Iron Mountain Road from the south 2nd and Needles 3rd. Deadwood is awesome and if you have time to see a cave or two they are cool. Of course you have to see Rushmore. I have been out there many times and these are the things I like the most. I think the Black Hills is one of the most beautiful places in the country for sure.

Take exit 131 on I 90 on the way out, takes you to the Northeast Entrance to Badlands, ride through the Badlands and up to Wall.

Just don't **** with the buffalo in Custer state park.

Quick Reply: Black Hills info