Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Upper Penninsula

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Fringeofinsanity
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Penninsula

At the end of August I'm planning to take a trip starting from Door County through the UP to stop in Mackinac Island for a few days then continue on through Traverse City and eventually the Ferry back to Milwaukee. Where's the good riding and any spots I should be sure to see and looking for a getaway cabin as well as wildlife to watch?

Going to take my time and have5-7 days to do the whole trip which I know is more than enough time, but I don't want to hurry anywhere.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 05:19 PM
DrewMan
Intermediate

South of the Mackinaw Bridge, you will want to ride M119 from Cross Village down to Harbor Springs. From there, hook up onto US-31 outside of Petosky, and continue south as far as Traverse City. It is very pretty ride with Lake Michigan in view for most of the way. It is pretty congested that time of year, so going can be slow going through Petosky and Charlevoix. US-23 from Mackinaw City around the shore of Lake Huron is very nice too.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Haywired
Road Master

The best part of the U.P. is up on Lake Superior in my opinion. US 41 through Houghton and up into Coppper Harbor and M26 back down the peninsula. there's a good state campground Fort Wilkins in Copper Harbor and several resorts that rent cabins in the area. A stop up on Brockway Mountain while your at Copper Harbor is a must see. Taquamenon Falls and the ride down througfh Brimley and past the Iriquois light station are nice. If you are into great lakes shipping a trip up to Whitefish Point is pretty special as is a stop at the Soo locks in Sault Ste Marie. From the Soo you're only 50 miles north of Mackinaw City. You can't bring your scooter onto Mackinaw Island and will have to leave it parked somewhere in Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. Personally I think Mackinaw City was a big tourist trap. I've never seen that many fudge,T-Shirt and moccasin shops so close together in my life. Some of the homes are cool and if you get away from downtown it's neat but you either have to hire a horse drawn carriage or rent a bicycle to peddle around. Munising is also a neat area with the pictured Rocks and lots to see in the area. The Porcupine Mountains to the west is also nice and some nice wide open roads for cruising in the woods.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
dilligaf61
3rd Gear

you gotta check out copper harbor very scenic up there Mackinaw Island 2 words TOURIST TRAP even worse the make you go there by boat so your trapped soo locks great to watch ....Cheboygan , North Country Inn VERY motorcycle friendly not over priced either

M119 tunnel of trees a must ride http://www.motorcycleroads.com/route.../MI/MI_3.shtml

if your tent camping when you get down to Traverse City area go to Interlochen Mi. to Cycle-Moore motorcycle shop and campground $6.00 a nite last year as long as you had a motorcycle with you great people great place