Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cabo ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Cherry101
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabo ride

Hey all,

First, gotta say thanks to Mimo for the quick reply to my queries this past week. The wife and I flew down to Cabo for a week last week. It was our 2nd trip, and after last year decided we'd definitely have to rent a bike the next go 'round. So, using the slow wifi at our resort, and our ipod, I logged in here, tracked down Mimo and made a couple last inquiries. Anyway, we rented at the marina H-D store in Cabo San Lucas... took no time at all... and FYI, this time of year is DEAD... they had almost full stock of rentals available. So grabbed a 2008 Heritage Softail (which was o-k condition) and headed off up the coast.

Driving in town wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.... most people were courteous. Once we got going up hwy 19 it was pretty nice... UNTIL we hit the construction. I had been told that they were working on the hwy from San Lucas to Todos Santos making it a 4 lane from 2. Needless to say there were some tense moments when the road turned off into hard packed sand.

It took almost an hour with the construction spots (about 2 sections along the route) to get to Todos Santos. Was a sleepy town fer sure (off season again). Checked out the Hotel California... had some lunch... (excellent FOOD!) wandered and headed back down the coast.

So, after all was said and done, we both agreed the bike ride was the highlight of the trip. But a couple things to be aware of if you decide to do it:

1. You have to return the bike by 8pm on the day of rental. We took 2 days so we could have more time.

2. You have to return the bike gassed up. I was REAL skeptical they put premium in prior to my ride.... sucker was NOT happy near the end of the tank.

3. Drivers are pretty decent! Better than I thought they'd be.

4. Construction guys are super friendly! Must like H-D's er something.

5. Glad I had fat front tire on the sand... Don't think my Dyna would've been as easy.

Ride on.

Attached Thumbnails Cabo ride-bike01.jpg   Cabo ride-bike02.jpg   Cabo ride-bike04.jpg   Cabo ride-bike05.jpg   Cabo ride-bike06.jpg  

Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like Cabo indeed Welcome to my beautiful country.

LOL, my rental was a black 2003 Heritage Softail too (I rode there in 2003)... Extremely relaxing ride up to Todos Santos the coast highway has some really cool views. Pitty 'bout the bad spots in the road, the good part looks in mint condition, but hey! even better, slow rides give you plenty of time for the views.

Glad to help brother, no need to thank me at all.

Thank you for sharing the pics and experience,

Mimo.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:26 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Has anyone ridden TO Cabo? That is something I would definitely like to try sometime. I LOVE Cabo, and it's pretty easy to find a relatively inexpensive place to say down there. Sounds like an awesome road trip to me.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:30 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

OK, I'll provide at least a start to an answer to my own question. I searched and found this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...xico-ride.html, which relates to motorcycle travel in Mexico generally.

Lots of warnings about traveling in Mexico, a few who have traveled there and had great experiences. Over all, I think I would want Mimo to meet me at the border.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Superlow-Ben
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an thread but I'm going on abut the same ride and I really found your experience helpful. thank you

Last edited by Superlow-Ben; 03-09-2017 at 11:07 PM.