Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Best scenic rides in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Best scenic rides in SoCal?

My wife is a relatively new rider with just over a year of putting around town and the local back roads under her belt. I haven't pushed her too much. Partly because I wanted her to learn her bike and get comfortable in traffic and on the road but mostly because she so damned strong willed.

So strong willed in fact that confidence isn't something you can force someone like her into by pestering her into longer trips. Seriously, she'll totally stop right then and there, say something about you having intercourse with your mother, and make an otherwise good day into something you'll carry a scar from and be ashamed to remember. I mean, okay, she's not really that bad but one doesn't just *****-nilly go around poking sticks into the gorilla cage, if you catch my drift.

But, yesterday, she got on her bike and ripped that "staying close to home" bandaid off by taking her 100+ mile round trip and now apparently has a gasoline *** because all she's talking about this morning is venturing out more.

So, to celebrate her newfound badassness, we're gonna start planning some day trips now that she's comfortable enough to venture out away from town on her bike.

We're planning on hitting up the Ortega/Hell's Kitchen/Cook's Corner thing and the loop around Palomar mountain on the 76 and 79 and maybe Deluz provided they've fixed some of the shittier parts.

But, she said she'd would like to venture further into San Diego county, western Riverside and maybe one day soon make a big trip to either Vegas, Scottsdale, and hell, she even threw out the word that all husbands with wives that ride want to hear... Sturgis.

So, I'm asking my SoCal brethren to share some of the day trips you guys like to take that are mostly scenic, back road kinda rides with cool stops along the way. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:42 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

You're in the heart of some great riding and you can finish in Wine Country. Not bad. You know about 76/79, then 78 is a good one too - Julian. Sunrise Highway/Mt. Laguna, several rides in there. Then there's 74 over to Palm Springs and Idyllwild.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Route...fornia_80.html

The following 2 users liked this post by JesseDyna:
ccain529 (03-10-2017), chilidipper (04-07-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
You're in the heart of some great riding and you can finish in Wine Country. Not bad. You know about 76/79, then 78 is a good one too - Julian. Sunrise Highway/Mt. Laguna, several rides in there. Then there's 74 over to Palm Springs and Idyllwild.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Route...fornia_80.html
Thanks for that link! Exactly what I was looking for!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

OP, there's a bunch in San Diego County.
Increase your "time in the saddle" with your wife gradually. Don't let her become barn sour. Since you're in Temecula, now is the perfect time to ride down the hill into the desert. Borrego Springs is great right now. Carlees is a great place to stop. (Adjacent to Christmas Circle.)
Does she like tight twistys, or sweepers? (Or, God forbid, straight interstates?)

The following users liked this post:
ccain529 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:17 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

Thanks NORTY FLATZ! She likes the tug she gets on her butt when accelerating out of a corner, so I'd say she's a twisty girl. She's been on the freeway and her take on it was "why bother?" and "If I want to ride on the freeway, I'll take the cage."

Today is her birthday and instead of gifts and a cake all she asked for was a little road trip. (damn I love this woman! ) so, this morning we set out for a nice and laid-back ride down through Pala and onto the 76 then stopped at the Round Up for some onion rings and Aussie Fries for lunch.

On a side note: It's a bummer that the Hideout closed down. Poor Sadie was an absolute doll and it's a damned shame what happened to her. I don't know if
that god awful event had any influence on the closing of the bar, but I do know that she is sorely missed and even if the bar was still open, it just wouldn't be the same.

But on the plus side, the Round Up had great service today and those damned Aussie Fries would make you want to slap your grandma right in the mouth.

Then, it was back through Warner Springs and Aguanga then home. About a 102 mile round trip.

You couldn't have asked for a better day. The temps were just right and with all the rain we've had lately, everything was green as hell.

All in all, a successful ride and the wife did an outstanding job handling her bike through the handful of twisties, upgrades, downgrades and various road surfaces we encountered.

Overall she's gained a lot more confidence recently by just plain getting out there on her bike, having some close calls, some white knucle moments and all the other stuff that goes along with learning to ride let alone learning a new bike and how to safely ride it. I'm real proud of her.

And today, she hit a milestone as her odometer clicked over 1000 miles.

Last edited by ccain529; 03-16-2017 at 05:23 PM.
toppy (04-07-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ccain529
Thanks NORTY FLATZ! She likes the tug she gets on her butt when accelerating out of a corner, so I'd say she's a twisty girl. She's been on the freeway and her take on it was "why bother?" and "If I want to ride on the freeway, I'll take the cage."

Today is her birthday and instead of gifts and a cake all she asked for was a little road trip. (damn I love this woman! ) so, this morning we set out for a nice and laid-back ride down through Pala and onto the 76 then stopped at the Round Up for some onion rings and Aussie Fries for lunch.

On a side note: It's a bummer that the Hideout closed down. Poor Sadie was an absolute doll and it's a damned shame what happened to her. I don't know if
that god awful event had any influence on the closing of the bar, but I do know that she is sorely missed and even if the bar was still open, it just wouldn't be the same.

But on the plus side, the Round Up had great service today and those damned Aussie Fries would make you want to slap your grandma right in the mouth.

Then, it was back through Warner Springs and Aguanga then home. About a 102 mile round trip.

You couldn't have asked for a better day. The temps were just right and with all the rain we've had lately, everything was green as hell.

All in all, a successful ride and the wife did an outstanding job handling her bike through the handful of twisties, upgrades, downgrades and various road surfaces we encountered.

Overall she's gained a lot more confidence recently by just plain getting out there on her bike, having some close calls, some white knucle moments and all the other stuff that goes along with learning to ride let alone learning a new bike and how to safely ride it. I'm real proud of her.

And today, she hit a milestone as her odometer clicked over 1000 miles.

If she likes twistys, then I have some roads for you! Since she's new, you'll want to take it easy though. Don't want to alienate her.

I'm very familiar with the area to which you refer here.

Yes, the Hideout was a perfect stop for riders. Yes, a double murder turned the place upside down. Just a shame.

Next time you're on Hwy 79 South, turn Northbound onto Sage Rd. Then turn Eastbound onto Wilson Valley Rd. Then, into Anza. It'll be empty, and fun as heck!
In fact, today's my B-day, and I think I just talked myself into a ride out that way!

Congrats on the milestone!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:22 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
If she likes twistys, then I have some roads for you! Since she's new, you'll want to take it easy though. Don't want to alienate her.

I'm very familiar with the area to which you refer here.

Yes, the Hideout was a perfect stop for riders. Yes, a double murder turned the place upside down. Just a shame.

Next time you're on Hwy 79 South, turn Northbound onto Sage Rd. Then turn Eastbound onto Wilson Valley Rd. Then, into Anza. It'll be empty, and fun as heck!
In fact, today's my B-day, and I think I just talked myself into a ride out that way!

Congrats on the milestone!
OOOH! We're definitely going to check that out! THANKS NORTY!!!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 AM
DJ_WOBBLE
Tourer

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Neptunes Net in Malibu is a fun ride a great biker bar especially on sundays around lunch time and then you have the rock store off of Mulholland drive as well. Hit me up if you are up north near Malibu at any time I live about 10 miles from Neptunes Net

ccain529 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Default Best wings and cheap beer in SoCal?

Originally Posted by DJ_WOBBLE
Neptunes Net in Malibu is a fun ride a great biker bar especially on sundays around lunch time and then you have the rock store off of Mulholland drive as well. Hit me up if you are up north near Malibu at any time I live about 10 miles from Neptunes Net
Will do! Thanks!!! That sounds great.

One thing though; are the local tards still getting their rocks off by oiling up Mulholland to watch bikes crash?

Wings and cheap beer?

Okay, so the wife wants to return the favor for my birthday in May. All I want for my birthday is bugs on my bike, boobies, reasonably priced beer, and damned good wings. I'm going to call it the "1st Annual Old Fart is Getting Grouchier Every Year Ride for Wings".

Now, I fancy myself a bit of a wing connoi-sewer. I've eaten wings from coast to coast. So far, the best wings I've had have been at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo (home of the original wing) and the American Legion Post I used to belong to back east. The Legion also had $0.50 drafts. So, for like 10 bucks you could get ****-faced -AND- the hot ***** all in one stop. It was AWESOME!

Out here in SoCal, finding good wings seems as difficult as finding good chowder outside of New England. And forget about cheap beer. The Pub-n-Grub here in Old Town Temecula has decent wings but their fuc&in' beer is $7 a glass. Apparently, everyone is so proud of their **** out here that they think they can get away charging stadium prices for domestic **** water.

So, once again, I'm asking my fellow SoCalites to help me out and tell me where the best wings flap and the cheap beer flows around here.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Can't help you on the wings' front. People around here don't really mind spending $$ for craft beer.
My GF is from KCMO, where BBQ is an art. We've only found 1 place in 100 miles that passes for "ok." The rest are garbage.
I went on a quest for clam chowder years ago. The best I could find was in Monterey at the Fish Hopper. Closer, the chowder at Marie Calendars is "so-so."
Happy hour specials is where you may reduce the cost for beer.

Have you been to Rainbow Oaks for food? (Wednesday night prime rib is decent. The alligator is good. The black russian boar sausage is great.) Rice Canyon leads to Hwy 76, then a quick left/right and you're on Couser canyon! Then onto Lilac and Circle R.

The Gopher Hole at Castle Creek Country Club is purported to have decent wings. Public welcome. I've been there for lunch. Not bad.

There, I just gave you a dynamite ride and 2 places for food.

Continue on and we have Fat Ivor's BBQ in Valley Center...

ccain529 (03-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Best scenic rides in SoCal?