Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Full face or Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
sinanimal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full face or Windshield?

My Friend and I are riding from Northern California to Helena MT, and are debating on whether or not to where a full face helmet or just get a windshield. I say Windshield, he says full face.

I realize the consequence of a skull cap, but I'm looking to enjoy my ride and not be confined to the restrictive helmet. Now I know it's preference thing for everybody, but, this our first long trip on our Harley's and I'd like to here what you all think?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I traveled extensively last summer with NO windshield and only a brain bucket and I can tell you that particular option/combination has the potential to MAJORLY $UCK!

That having been said, my preference is to a windshield...

Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
garymann
Advanced

I'd suggest you define the reasons for using each. Two months ago on HWY 66 here in N VA I ran into some brutal winds. I couldn't ride at over 50 mph because I was literally being blown off the bike. I have a removable windshield for longer trips to cut down on rider fatigue from wind buffeting at 70mph, my normal cruising speed.

I leave tomorrow for a 2 day trip to Laconia. I will wear my ff and carry my skid lid. Since the forecast is for rain and i will be riding all day, the windshield wont protect from heavy rain without decreasing vision drasticly.

For wind buffeting and road debris the windshield works fine. For heavy and prolonged rain I use the ff helmet.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The advantage of the windshield is it takes the wind pressure off your chest. You do not have to 'hang on' to the bars. Add a Rider's backrest and you will be surprised how comfortable the ride is. I used a Full Face Modular for the first time on a 3,000 mile trip recently. I was worried in hot sun it would be uncomfortable, it was actually the opposite. No sunburn or windburn. Hit some heavy rain in one section, no problem with vis. I suggest you do both.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,898 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Windshield.

Because a June Bug to the nipple at 80 mph sucks.

Can always take it off when you get there.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

I guess everyone is different, I would go FF all the way. I have a detachable shield and I prefer the FF. Plus you can take the helmet off and strap it on the back easily when you don't need it. What do you do with the windshield?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All the rule books say ff and windshield.. ff to keep wind and sun off of you and protect your hearing.. windshield to protect your back and save your arms and shoulders from fatigue.. I say screw the rule books..

Old 06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
widowmaker221
Cruiser

Windshield is a plus for extended highway speeds but I always will tour long distance with my half helmet and a 3/4 helmet with a shield for rain. My first big trip we got caught in a storm on the BRP with just a 1/2 helmet at night for approximately 60 miles to get down off the mountain,great story but learned an important lesson that day!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

If your shield is at the right height ( the top height should be between your upper lip and the tip of your nose-you're supposed to look over the shield, not through it) then it will actually help in the rain especially in conjunction with at least a 3/4 with a flip down, or a ff helmet. I've got a helmet bra to strap it down on the rear seat for the occasion of not wanting the brain bucket on. Personally I've become accustomed to having the shield and my backrest on for any trip more than 30 miles or so.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default w/s plus helmet

Originally Posted by sinanimal
My Friend and I are riding from Northern California to Helena MT, and are debating on whether or not to where a full face helmet or just get a windshield. I say Windshield, he says full face...
This is not an either/or choice. Wear a helmet if you want to still be around to enjoy old age. Use a windshield if you want to enjoy your road-trip. I use both, and would never travel with just one.

As others have said, the w/s takes all the pressure off your torso and allows for a much more relaxed ride; keeps virtually all the bugs off you, too and makes cleaning the bike much easier. My Q/R w/s allows me to see over it, so it never obstructs my view; I don't even notice it while riding, and have never wished I didn't have it on. I only remove it to clean the bike thoroughly. Additionally it provides a large storage space forward of the bars for a pullover or jacket. My 3/4 helmet has a flip-up shield, which I sometimes will wear up, particularly when riding slowly or stopped. Both w/s and helmet have saved me from being struck by hurtful flying objects. And the helmet, mandatory in California, has saved me when I went down at 55 MPH.

Quick Reply: Full face or Windshield?