Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO engine issues

Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Srrmc
Tourer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb CVO engine issues

I have a 2015 CVO Road Glide with the twin cooled 110" motor. Last spring it took at dump at 22000 miles. I had to jump through some hoops to get it fixed under the extended service plan but we got it fixed.

My question is this, does anyone have any suggestions that would help with the longevity of this motor? My HD mechanic indicated that this WILL happen again, so I am thinking of doing some upgrades that might help with the problem.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Stretch

Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

May I ask why you had problems with your ESP? That's the reason I purchased mine is the 110s have issues.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Srrmc
Tourer

I had a power vision and a fuel moto header on it. The ESP stated that I caused the damage. they did come back and allow me to remove the tuner and then they stood behind their product. I have the same bike just the black and orange one.

The following users liked this post:
tbob (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:35 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I just went with the dealer down load . I don't want any BS if I have Lifter or valve spring issues. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:16 PM
JKM
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has the work been done yet on the motor? If already done then too late, but if not done and you want to keep it long-term, common issues that should be addressed are:

- OEM lifters are garbage. Go with S&S (standard or premium)
- head springs are too stiff and combined with stock cam (SE255) that has quick ramps, make the shitty lifters fail even faster. Change the cam out and have the head done with new springs
- Also the valve guides have been know to fail. Make sure these are changed when the heads are done
- Cranks are pressed and known to have play. consider having you crank welded and balanced or buy an S&S crank. Harley spec is 0.012" of play, which is crazy. Most builders will max should be 0.005-0.006" of play
- proper dynotune when done and you should be good to go for a long time.

What caused your motor to take a dump? Bad lifter?

Old 11-21-2017, 05:36 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey stretch.
What did the HD Mechanic say to make you think it will have issues again? I’ve never personally heard of anyone having issues except on forums.

I purchased my 117” when it was born so it would be covered under the ESP

Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

When I upgraded my motor to a 117" Pro Race Big Bore kit.
I had my cranks worked by Dark Horse, SE Timken bearing, Conical Beehive .650 springs, AV&V Bronze valve guides, Head work by HD Street Performace, GMR Cams/Lifters, new SE Comp Sprocket, along with a hole lot of other stuff.

It's as bullet proof as I can make it, and they way it should have came from the factory!

YB

Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Srrmc
Tourer

Originally Posted by JKM
Has the work been done yet on the motor? If already done then too late, but if not done and you want to keep it long-term, common issues that should be addressed are:

- OEM lifters are garbage. Go with S&S (standard or premium)
- head springs are too stiff and combined with stock cam (SE255) that has quick ramps, make the shitty lifters fail even faster. Change the cam out and have the head done with new springs
- Also the valve guides have been know to fail. Make sure these are changed when the heads are done
- Cranks are pressed and known to have play. consider having you crank welded and balanced or buy an S&S crank. Harley spec is 0.012" of play, which is crazy. Most builders will max should be 0.005-0.006" of play
- proper dynotune when done and you should be good to go for a long time.

What caused your motor to take a dump? Bad lifter?
the moror was a complete crate set up. And yes it was the lifter that caused the issue.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 AM
JKM
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

so crate set up will have the same issues I mentioned above. You might as well ride it for a bit, and then if you decide to keep it, then start addressing the issues I mentioned above. Lifter failure seems to be common around 20K miles, so think about replacing around 10-15K miles to be safe.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:24 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

The service manager flat out told me to either go with S&S lifters, or replace the factory ones every 15K if I don't want to void the warranty going with S&S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVO engine issues