Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shocks - Any Magic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:57 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts
Default Finally an update....

Little update on the shocks. I was out on a solo ride the other day and in a super hilly section and thought I heard the bike bottom out, even felt it and said ****... So we got to the restaurant for lunch and I decided to take a look checking the tire everything and didn't see a thing. Them I notice my chain guard got pretty mangled. I couldn't straighten, I had to remove it. Not only that I took a look at the other side and my PM brake caliper made contact with the fiberglass backing of my new saddlebags... Caused a little damage but not much.

I know this seems long sorry... When I got home I started to check things out.. I reset spring rate on the shocks. They were down on 1, so I adjusted them to 4. Well see how that does. What actually did happen was that the saddlebag mount on the left side is what hit the chain guard. The bike never really bottomed out as I initially thought...

So yesterday I spaced the bracket out a 1/2" off of the fender supports. Well see how that does.. I will update again when I get a couple more rides in...

Just want you to know that the bike never bottomed out. So far so good....

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing like real-world experience. Thanks for the update.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Axle
The chrome on the lower portion of the rear shock on my '75 FXE is a bit off the mark, so I'm considering a new set just for appearance.

Can't say I've had any issue with ride quality, but then I've never ridden anything with newer technology.

Is there anything magic about some of the pricier shock options from Progressive and others? If the ride improves, or quality in some manner justifies the additional cost, I'm fine with that.
Why not save your hard earned money, disassemble yout shocks and rechrome the lowers? Pics are from a recently purchased 78 FXE that had been sitting in a barn in Fresno for about 30 years. Chrome pitting on every part of the chrome. Disassembled and cleaned in the second pic. Required a wire wheel to get at the inside of the springs but they cleaned up nicely along with fresh rubber for the bushings that replaced the worn out ones in the pics.

Back on the bike.

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice.

Thanks Panz!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 AM
McCutcheon44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-28-2018, 10:14 AM
McCutcheon44
Intermediate

I just bought a set of Progressive 412-4030C standard shocks for a 1975 FX that I'm currently working on.
I wish I would have seen TwiZteds advice regarding Progressive shocks before I installed them. They seem stiff right out of the box on the lowest setting.
I have not ridden the bike yet, I still have a lot to do to get it road worthy.

One thing I ran across was the upper shock mounts were 1/2" diameter on one side and 5/8" on the opposing side WTF, how does this happen?
The progressive upper mount is 1/2" ID, I pulled the 5/8" stud and turned it to 1/2" to fit the shocks for now.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Progressives are ok if your hauling a 300lbs old lady around but solo they are a back breaker. Up side is and this cost's you another $100 and some hassles as there are lighter rate springs available for them. Takes a phone call and somebody on the other end with half a clue on the older bikes. Stock they come with 300lbs rated springs, I've redone them with 240's with decent results.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
83shovl93”strokr (03-21-2019), McCutcheon44 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 PM
McCutcheon44
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Progressives are ok if your hauling a 300lbs old lady around but solo they are a back breaker. Up side is and this cost's you another $100 and some hassles as there are lighter rate springs available for them. Takes a phone call and somebody on the other end with half a clue on the older bikes. Stock they come with 300lbs rated springs, I've redone them with 240's with decent results.
Lol, she's 120lbs thankfully.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,333 Likes on 3,273 Posts

I waited a long time 100000 miles to put coil over Öhlins on my 07 FLHTC spits a bigger bike yeah. The ride is head and shoulders above stock... pricey yeas but worth it ...Öhlins, Bitubo, Pro Action, Legends etc all make very good products...
Good luck on your search.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Little update on the shocks. I was out on a solo ride the other day and in a super hilly section and thought I heard the bike bottom out, even felt it and said ****... So we got to the restaurant for lunch and I decided to take a look checking the tire everything and didn't see a thing. Them I notice my chain guard got pretty mangled. I couldn't straighten, I had to remove it. Not only that I took a look at the other side and my PM brake caliper made contact with the fiberglass backing of my new saddlebags... Caused a little damage but not much.

I know this seems long sorry... When I got home I started to check things out.. I reset spring rate on the shocks. They were down on 1, so I adjusted them to 4. Well see how that does. What actually did happen was that the saddlebag mount on the left side is what hit the chain guard. The bike never really bottomed out as I initially thought...

So yesterday I spaced the bracket out a 1/2" off of the fender supports. Well see how that does.. I will update again when I get a couple more rides in...

Just want you to know that the bike never bottomed out. So far so good....
You've got another follower here. I have a 1980 FXS that I am contemplating what to do about the rear shocks. So I am following this thread closely.

I am glad to hear that you didn't bottom out using the Dyna shocks. But I'm a little confused. Is it possible that the saddle bag mount hit the chain guard because the Dyna shocks weren't stiff enough? What was the reason that the mount hit the chain guard? That shouldn't happen if the travel of the rear end is limited, right? And doesn't the shock limit that travel? So maybe they didn't bottom out, but because they have more travel than the shovel shocks, maybe they allowed the back end to travel so far that the saddle bag mount hit the chain guard? Just thinking out loud and I welcome any corrections to my (mis)understanding.

Quick Reply: Shocks - Any Magic?